Quick question to you all, has Christmas been secularized?

I've thought about this for a few days and while this should probably wait until after Thanksgiving, I thought I might ask what you thought about the secularization of Christmas.

As of now, as I type this, I happen to believe that Christmas has been, for all intents and purposes, secularized. It is a religious holiday in name only like Halloween.

For me, evidence of this is that Christians feel compelled to prompt us to 'Remember the reason for the season' (which can only mean that we shouldn't forget that the plane of the Earth's rotation is not parallel to the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun) implying that people have forgotten.

I'm of the opinion that the Christians have already lost the war on this one, the co-opting of pagan rituals hundreds of years ago to get people to care about Jesus more seems to have backfired.

I think the secularization of Christmas has been done. What do you think?

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely! Now lets get to work on that other holiday. You know, Egg Day!
Who cares about Easter? Chrismas rocks no matter how old you are but Easter tanks early. You can only have so much fun coloring eggs.

What the hell does coloring and hiding eggs have to do with Jesus anyway? Where are the people who want to put the Jesus back in Easter?

We shouldn't be hunting eggs we should be hunting zombies.
Don't you remember what Jesus said?

"Let he who is without sin paint chicken eggs and hide them."
I think its some kind of pagan spring fertility ritual, so it has as much to do with jesus as decorating a tree. LOL!
Fertility and putting eggs in hidden places -- I think I like this holiday.
Me too! I try to fertilize as many eggs as possible!
Right, Easter is the co-opted spring fertility celebration, and christmas is the repackaged winter solstice celebration. We should completely reclaim them. There is no need for religion, but celebrations and traditions enrich our lives. I disagree with the idea that we need to abandon these rich traditions just because religion soiled them. Easter is a celebration of fertility that coincides with the vernal equinox, christmas and other winter holidays (including New Years Day) are based on the winter solstice. The only thing religious about Easter is that your parents made you get dressed up and go to church. In most households the only thing religious about xmas is lyrics of the carols. If you hummed along you wouldn't even notice that.

I say we should celebrate the real thing. Vernal equinox and winter solstice.
Yeah,we need to rename egg day and get rid of the easter bunny as well.

http://www.makeminechocolate.org/
Next people will be claiming that Arbor Day is secular. I mean, really!
I try every year not to celebrate Christmas because 1) I am not a Christian 2) I don't feel like I should be forced to buy people things on one certain day of the year just because Wal-mart (or coke and Macy's as someone pointed out) told me to do so. 3) I support myself and I really do not 'want' for anything so I tell people that they can get me things that I need (I am all for consumable gifts for holidays and b-days) but most people will say that Christmas is for something you want I just think its too capitalistic and too much about greed.
But I think the point you make about the 'co-opting of pagan rituals' is a good point. Christmas and in 'Christain' sense of it was really destroyed from the beginning when they combined pagan ideas with it. Its just as much a pagan holiday as it is a Christan Holiday so why can't it be just as much a secular holiday as it is a Christian and Pagan holiday? And I think Santa and capitalism have made it pretty darn secular. So I can get over number 1 but 2 and 3 I will have to work on! But honestly I could do away with Christmas all together and be perfectly happy!

On a sort of funny side note about the nativity scenes, which I do think you see plenty of!
Me and my mom play a game every year (or rather I play and she pretends like she doesn't notice). I like to steal the baby jesus and put him is random places around the house or rearrange the nativity scene and put the animals in the center or put a small santa in the middle (basically any thing to mess up the original scene) its juvenile but I have done it for years, now I think everyone expects it, its a baby jesus scavenger hunt! It makes it a little more bearable to me.
That sounds like fun. Hide the baby jesus :-)
I hope so, because I fucking love Christmas for absolutely no reasonable reason.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service