Has anyone else been an atheist as long as they remember?

I only ask because most people seem to say they are converted from a religion, or at least went along with it in some way until they reached an age at which they started to actually think about the practicality of religion. I never remember believing in god and was actually kicked out of bible school when i was about 8 because I couldn't get anyone to answer me when asked how people could believe in something they had never seen, or known and when not getting the answer I was looking for said I didn't think they were right. They probably thought I was possessed LoL.
I have often wondered if this was due to having a rough childhood that made me question authority at a very early age or if it was a more common occurance.

Scott

Views: 356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I've never really believed in god, but I've tried.

I grew up in the Netherlands, my mom was raised catholic but never believed in god, my dad who came from christian and muslim parents (grandpa had to convert to islam in order to marry grandma but converted back to christianity after they fled to Holland right after the war--they lived in Indonesia, has 'tried on' several religions (though my mom says, the only reason that my dad decided that we were -at one point- jehova's witnesses was to save money on birthday presents). My dad is no longer affiliated with any religion. 

I was always free in what I wanted to believe. When I was 14 I was struggling with certain issues and life questions and thought to seek answers through religion. I had talks with the pastor of a local church, I got baptized, went to church summer camp, sang in the choir, distributed flyers, the whole shabam. I even suggested to my family to start praying for dinner (we never did that before) and they were so kind that they went along with it. 

I think I spent maybe two years with that church but just I didn't find any answers that helped me in any way, didn't find the bible at all helpful and I couldn't connect with the church members who didn't seem overly interested in understanding their religion. We never talked about the bible or even god. In fact, I found most of them rather un spiritual and close minded. Though they had lots of opinions when I changed my look and went 'hardrock', (I just let my hair down and wore a leather jacket and dr martins, oh noo!) what a joke. I eventually said goodbye to the church and religion. 

In hind side, the church summer camps were fun though, lots of partying, only one church service on Sunday for half an hour or so and hardly any talk about god. I appreciate that now, but when I was 14, I did want to talk about god. 

Oh well. 

My mom was a lapsed Atheist and my dad was a lapsed something I presume. I never went to church, except for weddings, scouting, and to make grandma happy.

I remember when I was 6 in KEYS, afterschool/beforeschool program, I told the boss lady I didn't believe in God. Boy did that cause a shit storm. But the majority of my friends were atheists as well, many were like reform jews or something technically but were really atheists.

I wasn't an Atheist for as long as I remember but from my earliest memories I can say I always questioned and doubted the church until 6th grade when I figured out it isn't real and became an Atheist.

What helped me realize that God isn't real is that I never felt "God's conviction" for lying to my mother, hiding things, watching "bad" shows (like South Park or Family Guy), or listening to "devil music" (as they call it) like Slipknot, Nirvana,or System of a Down. I was supposed to since those are considered ungodly actions, but I never did. Even after my mom made me get baptized.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service