Has anyone else been an atheist as long as they remember?

I only ask because most people seem to say they are converted from a religion, or at least went along with it in some way until they reached an age at which they started to actually think about the practicality of religion. I never remember believing in god and was actually kicked out of bible school when i was about 8 because I couldn't get anyone to answer me when asked how people could believe in something they had never seen, or known and when not getting the answer I was looking for said I didn't think they were right. They probably thought I was possessed LoL.
I have often wondered if this was due to having a rough childhood that made me question authority at a very early age or if it was a more common occurance.

Scott

Views: 356

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't remember ever believing in any kind of god, and I became aware of that at 7 or 8. As I didn't want to make any fuss (catholic family, my father regularly went to church, but not my mother), I didn't tell anyone at the time; this whole faith thing somehow didn't bother me at all, it was just another strange thing adults do sometimes.
I don't think there has ever been a time in my life when I have believed in God. My parents are both atheists and I was baptised into the Greek Orthodox church "Just to keep your Grandparents happy". I went to church a few times as a child, but as it was all in Greek I couldn't understand it anyway. Even if I had I highly doubt I would have been convinced.
I can't remember actually ever believing. My parents were rather laissez fair about religion. She sent us to bible school in the summer, but I think it was more to get 4 children from underneath her during the summer. Except for a brief time as a small child we were never required to say bedtime prayers. We were taught the "if I should die before I wake" which I see as child abuse, it used to give me nightmares and might be the reason we stopped. I remember voraciously devouring the various mythologies of the world and in a moment when I couldn't find anything to read, was determined to read the bible from cover to cover when I was about 8. I think the fact that I'd read the other mythologies made me quickly associate the bible with the myths. My mother actually told us (we were required to go to church until we were 11) that she did not care if we believed in god or not, she just wanted us to know about what we didn't believe in. I think it was a good choice for me, learning about the bible and church cemented my ability to see it as the mythology it is and give a good reason why I don't believe. I also sent my sons to catholic church for the education and to learn about the christian religion since I would NEVER take them to church and neither would their father. One son is atheist as I am, the other agnostic--he said he wanted to hedge his bets.
I grew up in London in the 60s and 70s; religion was a big thing at school with religious assemblies and prayers every morning. My folks sent me to a local methodist sunday school as well, and we stayed with religious relatives for a while, but neither of my parents were at all religious (as far as i could tell). Sunday school was just an excuse to get me out of the house on a Sunday morning. I remember them being horrified when I asked serious questions about Noah's Ark, after watching as news report about an expedition to find traces of it!

I was never a believer as such, but I accepted it, without ever actually believing it, when adults told me the bible was a historical record. The idea of a god never seemed believable to me, but I didn't have any good arguments against it.

I even had my very own mystical revelation; I saw a huge stone statue of a lion in South Kensington and felt an overwhelming rush of love and sadness. I'd been reading the Narnia books at the time, and associated the lion with Aslan and his sacrifice for Edmund in the first book. Luckily for me I hadn't yet made the connection between Aslan and Jebus!

By the time I was in my teens I'd stopped accepting all the god/bible stuff, but I couldn't say there was ever a time before that when i was actually a believer in any real sense.

I would have continued on my way as an unthinking atheist if I hadn't read the God Delusion a few years ago. It laid in depth out all the arguments I'd vaguely apprehended in my unthinking atheist mind, and gave me a new interest in the problem of religion and the culture wars, etc.
My parents were religious but belonged to different churches. I went to their churches but was also free to explore the churches of my friends. It was a social event, and I loved the singing. My neighbourhood friend was Catholic, so in elementary school I decided to be confirmed. I remember the day we wore our pretty white dresses. However, when we went to catechism classes I found that my friend was given the "prize" even though I had actually known more answers on the test.(She was a lifelong Catholic whose family were friends of the priest and I was an interloper.) Interesting how the light goes on. "They're liars and cheats.There is no God." I ran home crying and never went back.
Different churches became rotational fun for my other friend and I all through high school - a social event and an excuse for "dressing up" on Sundays. There we also found hypocrisy and deceit, like the Baptist minister who was cheating with the Sunday School teacher (we could tell) while his truly angelic wife was dying of cancer. For us the "truly religious" were just a curiosity.
I've always been an atheist. I didn't know what an atheist was as a child and I never even heard of the word until I was in my twenties and at that point I had no interest in finding out; I figured I was just a skeptic. My first realization of a lack of "faith" was when I was told stories about Santa Clause and Jesus. I believed neither but I thought it odd later on when my parents finally admitted to me that there was no Santa, however they seemed to have still held on to the idea of god and Jesus being real. This made me think that either I was missing something; that I'd been guilty of some misinterpretation of the facts or that there was something wrong with me mentally.

One day my salvation came in the way of a children's book. My aunt had given me Hans Christian Anderson's 'Emporer's New Clothes' and I finally understood that it is within the nature of even adults to buy into the fantasies of those who could spin a good yarn. After that I found strength in my skepticism. It was like I knew a secret that most adults somehow were too indoctrinated to accept. It was so very obvious, a child could figure it out.
I lived in China until I was 20s. Religions were pretty much forbidden in China during those years. But there always have been plenty of superstition going around there. I was disgusted by how Mao was worshiped and never understand the need for worshiping anything. I was not exposed to any religion other than browsing through dozens of pages of the old Testament. I was never able to read past Exodus. Bible is truly a boring book.
I have always been a non-believer in religion.
Read 'My Profile' to see details of my story.
My parents (although nominally christians) never took me to church so I never went. I am so grateful that I never had to waste so much time on religion as so many other schoolchildren did.
I learnt about the fiction that is Father Christmas when I was six, and the implausibility of the christian religion developed quickly from that.
Terry Meaden (scientific founder of the group "Origins").
Hello. I think I always have been an agnostic then an atheist all my life. I got my first real contact with religion at 9 years old and found out it was baloney right from the start. I published my story on my page. I should add, given it is not mentionned in my article, that me too I had a difficult childhood. I don't know however if it has to do with my lack of belief.
Never bought into the delusion.
At school I was quite amused and very alarmed at the ferocity with which this fairy tale was discussed and disseminated.
There were no answers to obvious logical fallacies...walking on water...an arc with every species...what about the insects and the birds?...why did the lions not eat the goats?...talking snakes and spontaneous generation from ribs...the usual illogicalities.
The stock answer that god moved in mysterious ways his bounties to bestow...never made a bit of sense...I strongly suspected that parts of the dogma were made up and lied about...found it a pathetic bit of mythology...a poor imitation of the Norse...Roman and Greek traditions of story telling...eventually Christianity just bored me to much to bother with because it was so contradictory.
The advertisement was okay...I just found the product was cheap tawdry and to plastiky fantastiky!

I had dismissed the whole concept after just a few months at Sunday school...I was duly ejected for being a bad influence...the preacher had a real problem with my non-compliance..I refused to pray to sweet jeebus...found it an embarrassing and ridiculous piece of tom foolery.
By the age of 8 years I was a happy atheist.

Not just of God and all that Holy spook nonsense but Religion in general...although I thought the Native Americans had a point...still do...now if you are gonna believe in spirituality then they provide a wonderful source of rich and imaginative constructs which every other contemporary god bothering crowd miss by a mile and then some.!

But as for the Christian religion especially some bearded and malevolent little wannabe god...it was dismissed as wishful thinking very early in life!
I was actually quite surprised that people believed in gods. I just assumed that people knew it wasn't true but just wanted the company of church life or were old and that was what people used to believe because they were scientifically ignorant. It never actually occurred to me that people thought there really was a god.

They actually believe these things! It still just amazes me. I'm not awed or jealous. Not that kind of amazed. They just look silly, like adults who like the Easter Bunny or Santa that little bit too much.
I knew when I was young also, I dont really know if I ever believed in god, i think that once I figured out Santa Claus was a lie, I figured it was all a lie. I do remember the first time that I thought, I dont believe in this, what am I going to do. It was bible school and the sunday school teacher told me that my dog did not go to heaven because only humans have souls. This really pissed me off, I knew about the deep emotion this dog experienced and for me if she was just a piece of meat then I was too. From that point on ,until my parents decided to give me the choice on whether or not to attend, I was faking it all. I remember sitting in prayer closets and people talking about how they could feel god coming into their bodies, I thought everyone was a fraud but that I was too. Looking back maybe it was the preacher being grabby, who knows.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service