How ironic is it that a man who works at a gun range is shot, and killed, by a nine year old? The man was teaching her to shoot an uzi. I know many people won't like this but I find a kind of poetic justice in it. Put a fully loaded sub machine gun in the hands of a child and what do you expect? Children shouldn't handle guns. Period. The parents, state or firing range should be held responsible for the trauma done to the nine year old girl involved.

Tags: Children, Death., and, guns., machine, sub

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Deidre32, I agree. 

It just keeps getting better!

September 10, 2014 - Alas, another tragic tale involving a gun in the hands of a child. This time in Middleburg, Florida where a two-year-old sheriff deputy’s son accidently fired his daddy’s gun in a Wendy’s restaurant injuring himself and others around him, the Florida Times-Union reported.

http://www.alternet.org/investigations/two-year-old-fires-fathers-g...

I find it almost unbelievable that this keeps happening. Is it never going to end? The first school shooting should have been the last. Instead we here of a gun incident, of one kind or another, almost daily.

The NRA and the politicians they buy, are some sick fucks.

Not all NRA members are sick fucks; many disagree with Wayne LaPierre.

The current leaders have made the NRA a subsidiary of the Republican Party; their key speakers at a recent national convention were Sarah Palin and Glen Beck.

Despite the reality that many Democrats support private ownership of guns, NRA leaders regularly refer to Democrats as gun-banners. When NRA leaders say "Vote against the gun-banners" they mean "Vote Republican."

Current NRA leaders differ from current Republicans in one way; they join with the ACLU in defending the First Amendment.

That the SCOTUS majority perverted the First Amendment and gave us the Citizen United decision is the result of a thirty-year-long effort by business interests to expand corporate power by giving "paper persons" ( a lawyers' term) the rights of natural persons.

Those of us who despair of correcting this with a constitutional amendment?

Think positive.

The Civil War Amendments, especially the 14th, prevented southern leaders from re-establishing slavery.

An amendment made the US Senate an elected body--ending the appointment by state legislatures of "good old boys".

An amendment resulted from a half-century of effort to gain women the vote.

An amendment gave America prohibition and created organized crime.

An amendment corrected part of that blunder. Organized crime became the ally of religious folk who want to impose their rules on all Americans.

An amendment will take personhood away from corporations.

Democracy is not a spectator sport. How many of us are up to the challenge?

And here's an item you might hate: I'm a life member of the NRA.

@Tom - I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that doesn't necessarily mean you favor nine-year-olds playing with uzis and crazy people having easy access to automatic weapons.

You're right, Bertold.

A co-worker when I was earning money to finish college told me the most sensible thing I've ever heard about guns.

He had young children and said he didn't let them have toy guns. He added that when they can assume some responsibility, he would show them how to use real guns safely.

He was challenging America's very culture.

That so many politicians fear the NRA is a powerful ADDITIONAL argument for limiting their terms.

Another argument for term limits is that incumbents are incapable of reforming the system that made possible their election to office.

The Articles of Confederation (Remember them?) limited members of the national congress to two terms. They had to sit out a term before they could run again.

Ben Franklin said he wouldn't condemn anyone to a life among the servant class without letting them live among the rulers occasionally.

That was in America's more idealistic days, when the term "consent of the governed" had meaning.

@Tom    There was a time when the NRA was a respectable organization who merely  wanted  to make sure  guns  were  used  safely .....Then the extreme  right took over  and now they want  all Americans  to own guns with  no exception to what  can be purchased......The NRA is now a dangerous  organization changing  the true  meaning  of the second amendment to suit  their needs.....Considering the state of affairs of this pariah....I  would think  the majority  of  the fair minded  members would  show their dissatisfaction with the leadership of the NRA and   leave en masse, depriving the NRA of their annual dues ...Maybe then will we see significant change... 

Freethinker31, I like your option. Cut off the money and NRA will begin to listen. Do you think NRA members would do such a thing? I sincerely doubt it, listening to the NRA members I know. They seem to value access to guns and ammunition more than safety in the home and on the streets. They do claim easy access to guns insure our safety; the statistical evidence, even though correlation studies, reveal that the more guns and ammo, the more death of the innocent. 

SCIENCE Visualizing gun deaths – Comparing the U.S. to rest of the ...

Unfortunately  Joan  it was wishful  thinking  on my part....I doubt it will happen..We can always  hope  for the best outcome..Being  a city boy I never  had the fascination with guns  as those living in rural  America....No matter how much I try  I just don't understand  why they are against  all gun control.....Makes no sense  to me....

I agree with you Freethinker. The NRA isn't all bad. It's the people using it for their own gain that are bad.
And, Tom is right. Term limits would go a long way to addressing,a lot of these issues. And that includes removing lifetime appointments. To much power, concentrated in to few is never a good idea.
Damned auto correct jumps all over the page.

@k.h     The power mongers  in Congress would fight  term limits  with  all their might ......The Founders  of  our country wanted  a two term limit for Congress but somewhere  down the line  the law  was changed...No reason  why it could  not revert back one day.....I just wish  our representatives weren't  in the pockets  of the NRA......Same with the  Koch brothers.....Money talks....and it has  truly diminished the respect our Congress has  with the American people.....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service