Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Sylvia, a 34 year old filmmaker currently residing in Sheffield UK, but originally from Belgium. And I'm an atheist. Like most people in Belgium I was raised as a catholic, went to catholic school and even to catholic university, but the more I learned about religion (and as I studied art history, I learned a lot about religion), the more I realised this isn't right. So it became clear to me I was an atheist. No big deal really, it doesn't seem like it is over here.

I came across this site yesterday. I'm in the middle of doing research to hopefully make a documentary about atheism in the USA, where it does seem to be a big deal.

I'm still trying to figure out this site and how to make the most out of it, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Sylvia!  Glad you found us!

Yeah, atheism remains a big deal in the US, both in and out of the bible belt (I'm OUT, thankfully!), and we're working to make atheism more visible and respected here ... an uphill battle, to be sure.

As for navigating this site, it can be a touch confusing, but not too bad once you spend a bit of time.  Anything I can do to help, please give a shout.

Welkom! (And that is all I can say in Dutch.... or Flemish) : )

Welcome aboard!

Welcome Sylvia!  I'm Melinda, I'm 45, and for now, a homemaker.  I live in Northern Illinois in the US.  I am ashamed of how prevalent religion and the accompanying stupidity is here.  We are not only not progressing, we are going backwards!  I feel like Europe is making fun of us, as well they should!  It is not easy to be an open Atheist here.

As for this site, it is wonderful!  Just join in discussions, ask people you feel you have a connection with to 'friend' you, you will be asked to join groups, etc.  Take your time, there is a lot here!  Glad you found AN!

Cool! filmmaker do contact ken loukinen and get a documentary on that guy! or american atheists in general serious players in the fight for human rights imho peace!

Welcome to the site! So glad you found us!

Thank you for the warm welcome! :-)

I'm sure I'll enjoy this site very much and will learn plenty, and hopefully make some lovely new friends too.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service