Gophers are turning my backyard into a lunar landscape. I don’t want to be cruel to these darling little critters, but I’ve had it. I’ve investigated traps, poison gas, and explosives. If I could somehow chase them off my property, they’d simply move to my nice neighbor’s yard and tear it up. Should I just accept them as pets?

Perhaps death isn’t so bad for a gopher; if the Lord keeps his eye on the sparrow, he must certainly keep it on the gopher as well. With faith the size of a mustard seed I can picture angels coming down to carry off the dead gophers to their own heaven—a manicured yard of infinite expanse? Solutions are appreciated.

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suggest putting a fence around the yard, then putting up a sign saying "Quiet:  Prairie restoration project.  Do not disturb the gophers."  Then charge admission.
Hi Sentient Biped,

An excellent suggestion. Of course, an authentic prairie reconstruction project would require the introduction of bison, coyotes, jackrabbits, etc., which could make such a project cost prohibitive.

Jim

Really,if yYou can get a wildlife habitat sign from Nature Conservancy by following some of their rules ..We did and because of the changes we made,we have WAY more wildlife in our yard than we used to. We have moles,raccoons,birds,squirrels,snakes,rabbits,turtles,opossums,lizards and deer..It's wild...And we like it that way!

Ok, back to the little gophers.

One way to entice them to move is to annoy them...How to do this? Get small radios and turn them to the most obnoxious radio stations,then shove them down the holes..That's often how people get flying squirrels and raccoons to leave their attics.

The drawback here is the gophers might just bury the radios and go about their business.

The problem is where do the gophers go? All of the habitat is slowly becoming people's backyards and no one seems to be willing to tolerate anything in their yards any more except dogs and cats.

A wildlife shelter is your best bet as far as help goes.

As to who is the invasive species,I'm saying it is not the gophers. They were there first.

As a gardener, Im not a fan of moles, raccoons, or squirrels.  Love frogs, turtles, birds.  But if I didn't have a garden I would welcome them all.

Does your restoration have to be all at the same time?  You can claim the gophers are just the first step.  After they have tilled the soil for 20 years, you can add a bison.  Oh wait, if it's just one, is it a unison?

Plus in order to be authentic you have to stop mowing too.

Though the idea of a wildlife habitat behind the house is appealing to me (No more mowing!), I think I prefer a flat lawn that my young sons can practice baseball and soccer on. We do have a large bird feeder that gets cleaned out quickly--birds love those black sunflower seeds.  
With faith shouldn't you be able to call angels to take them away live?

Hi Adam,

Let us turn to The Good Book, shall we? In Matthew 17:20 Jesus says, “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.”

I know in my original post I said that with faith the size of a mustard seed I can picture angels coming down to carry off the dead gophers, but that was wishful thinking. I admit with sorrow that I possess no such faith. Jesus and I had a falling out many years ago, and mustering up mustard seed-sized faith, or any faith at all, has been quite difficult for me. So, of course, it is my own fault, my lack of faith that prevents angel-assisted live gopher relocation.

Jim

I occassionally see a weathervane/windmill device advertised in garden catalogs which is supposed to chase moles and gophers out of your yard by annoying or scaring them. The device transmits a thumping/scraping sound into the ground as the wind spins the fan blades. It's supposed to be effective over a 50' radius. I've never had need to actually test one of these gadgets, so I can't attest to its effectiveness. You might inquire at your local garden shop to see if they carry this product and try one out at one corner of your yard.
Don't kill them.  Gophers don't have souls, (like people do ;), so they won't go to heaven, and that would just be mean.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
7 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
8 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
9 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
11 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
20 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
39 minutes ago
Luara posted a discussion
39 minutes ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service