I heard them all as a christian, and probably spouted off a few, but as an atheist those christian cliches have really started to bug me. Not like a mosquito bite on the back of your neck where no matter how much you scratch, it itches, but then after a bit it starts to bleed, but more like an annoying song that gets stuck in your head and the only way to get rid of it is by the sweet release of death.

"Let go and let God"
Really? Let god do what, exactly? Everything? Shit you're to lazy to do? I guess this probably has to do with letting go of problems and letting god take care of them, but isn't that really just ignoring your problems and hope they go away? So when your problems don't go away do you say, "I guess God is trying teach me a lesson"? Of course you do, because 7/12ths of christianity is making excuses.

OK, so that's the cliche that most gets on my nerves. Does anyone have any religious cliches that irritates the piss out of them?

Quick note: I realize that I'm not the sharpest tool in the knife drawer. I just thought you should know that I know that I am not. The sharpest tool. In the knife drawer.

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am replying to my own post. I remember on the news when a tornado completely leveled a trailer park. A woman being interviewed said thank god no one was killed. I guess Satan caused the tornado.
Yeah, I have a few, but don't make me think of them...
What the heck, they take comfort. I think of us as sort of like bees, we circle around each other and pass the new buzzwords around and play with them and repeat them if they feel good for the moment. We hum along with sound bites and shared concepts, little shortcuts that save us having to think everything thru, and from the demands of logic. Feeling certain provides emotional security; maybe even hard wired Feel good stuff.
But I think you maybe one of the funnier knives.
The one that bugged George Carlin: "God bless America" (or more broadly "God bless country X")

Do these people honestly believe God is sitting around picking his favourites?
We pray for God to destroy our enemies, our enemies pray for God to destroy us... Somebody's gonna wind up disappointed! Somebody is wasting their bloody time. Could it be... EVERYONE?

RIP George
Sports teams praying really irks me. Apparently if you pray hard enough, God will take sides and give the heavenly finger to the other team. I also hate when something bad happens like a hurricane and one person who was not injured had god looking after him. Welll that a big fuck you to all the people who did get injured, isn't it. I don't know. I think you guys covered all the irritating stuff, I really can't think of any more, but every one that's been covered thoroughly drives me nuts.

When's this national day of prayer, anyway? I have to think of a clever saying to put on a t shirt for that day.
I'm a big sports fan, but this irks me, too. Like God gives a shit whether you got the double that scores a run or hit the GW field goal. Then you have the players who point to the sky and make a show of it. Just stop it athletes.
Just passed a church and the sign said " have you sent god any knee-mail lately?"
Ohhh,they think they are soooo bloody clever,don't they.
Yeah, I got that
"let go let yo mamma" or "go w/your mamma"
all the time at my last job. Turns out the Jews and Cathis have something in common...
calling their workers corporate whores and trying to run ponzi/laundering schemes; being 'too big to fail'; turning people against each other, check!
then telling you to f off, formally no less.
f them! closeted freaks that they can be... so corporate, so lame, just like the religion they use to corner everyone with the spitting machines, while their church-temple-backed CEO's collect from your taxes time and time again; national security economical ecological threats 101 (too slow to see until it's 10 years built up and spewing)

at least freethought folks, are honest with themselves and the world we all should respect.

1st Amendment is the sharpest tool in the shed thus far, ask Larry Flint.
at least freethought folks, are honest with themselves and the world we all should respect.

You know, there's freethought and then there's just random, incoherent thoughts that have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.
I thought it was just me. :)
Just for the record, I really like the serious satire behind Woody Allen's rejoiner, in response to the question, "You don't believe in god?" or "How can you not believe in god?"

He said, "It's something you just have to take on faith." :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service