Yesterday a fire struck Chicago's (Catholic) Holy Name Cathedral. (Chicago being a big Irish and Catholic town, you can bet your sweet whatever that firefighters made a superhuman effort to fight the fire.)
The fact that God does not/cannot protect his "house" never seems to shake anybody's faith. It's always "Thanks to Got that it wasn't worse," or "Praise God that no one was hurt," or "Praise God that more people were not hurt."

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've noticed that as well...It's jus disgusting.
He doesn't protect against Black Metallers thats for sure.
I don't know if other people have noticed this, but it seems to me that a disproportionate number of churches burn down. It's fairly uncommon to have a tavern fire (though not unheard of). But it seems like churches burn down all the time.

It that just because the press reports on church fires, but who cares if some other place of business burns (unless lives are lost)? Or do churches burn down more often. If so - why? Arson to collect insurance in light of dwindling congregations? Arson as hate crimes? Too many candles? Just my imagination?
If it's true that churches burn more often than could be expected from chance, it might be because their steeples and the crosses atop the steeples act as lightening rods.
Good point. They should be grounded. But are they?
Plus, churches tend to be older buildings, built when the electrical standards weren't as stringent. Not to mention they are constantly lighting candles.
Of course "God" does not protect his house, he is too buy punishing New Orleans for hosting gay pride parades.
See Richard's comment. Apparently Yahweh is striking them with lightning.
funny. God doesn't seem to bother my home town of San Francisco.
Says the San Andreas fault resident.
Who was San (Saint) Andreas, and why is it his fault? :)
Which reminds me-- when we atheists rule the world, we gotta change all the place names with San and Santa (saint)--think how many there are!-- plus all the Church Streets, etc. Around here they like to name streets and roads after priests and bishops. Oughta be illegal.
Nnext time a church burns we should say god is punishing the xtains for being sp loud mouthed.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service