A cousin-in-law on Facebook (I know, I know) put up  something that a friend of hers said about the tragedy happening because everyone does not put wonderful, loving 'god' first in their lives, blah, blah, blah.  I, of course, couldn't keep my mouth shut and said it had nothing to do with religion, moral people are moral people, and this guy was obviously insane.  Then the cousin-in-law said she believes 'god' has something to do with EVERYTHING. 

WHAT THE FUCK do you say to that?  REALLY?  Her 'god' had something to do with that?  And WHY would you worship something that had the power, but didn't do anything to save those babies?????

I know, we talk about this all the time.  I really just want to be a hermit.  I hate dumb people, and there are WAY too many of them.

Views: 849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did post it (the Rachel Maddow thing) on mine, after my sister posted an image of a tshirt that said something about god not being invited in, yadayadayada and my mom "liked" it. Kind of passive-aggressive of me probably, but instead of actually addressing that post, I instead, as my status, just linked to the Maddow blog post and said that it disgusted and troubled me that so many people would turn this tragedy into something like this and so quickly. My sister removed her post later in the day. I am hoping she actually thought about what she had posted and got a bit ashamed of herself for it...

That's cool your sister took it down.  I just unfriended my husband's cousin's wife and her daughter.  They are both kind of, how do I say this without offending anyone?, low-class and dumb.  They would NEVER understand that just because they believe there is a 'god', that there might not be, and that this 'god' didn't plan everything, no matter HOW I explained it to them.  I could talk until I was blue in the face and they wouldn't get it.  Great.  Now I'm REALLY not going to look forward to going to big family-functions on my husbands side of the family. lol.  I'll just smile, say hi, and keep walking...

Thank you for posting Dark Matter's video. I'd missed that one somehow, though I have used the same arguments (with little effect). It always draws the "God works in mysterious ways" response, though if God is so mysterious how can they claim to "know him" is beyond my ken.

Most of my own family is either atheistic, with the exception of certain cousins, who keep their religious views as personal beliefs, and my sister, whose incessant argument about "my" morals caused me to link her to the video from the Thinking Atheist "Nothing more to talk about," which I am sure she will not watch. (By the way, how do you put the YouTube video right in your post?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4ZuHEYXkk&feature=player_embe...

Where was god when there was church shootings like the one in Atlanta a month ago? Why are they worried about security when they had god there all the time?

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/archives/2012/11/pasto...

When i heard about the tragedy, sadly, i started bracing myself for the injection of prayer. I'm amazed that it doesn't occur to anyone to ask "what are we praying for?" To me, it seems xtians are taking this opportunity to gain ground. God can't change this; that's been proven. Why are they praying? Another dagger was turning on the morning shows, and i think NBC said Joel Osteen was going to give insight on the tragedy. A prosperity preacher! What can he possibly contribute to this, except for getting more followers to line his pockets? The question is what can god do now that humans can't? Humans can comfort, and take safety measures, etc. So, it's fairly obvious that God is useless. But, we are so evil to not bow down and pray during this time. Sorry if i seemed worked up. I didn't know this tragedy would make me feel like i can't contribute my views to this situation. I don't think i want to discuss this in public, because when god comes up (it will), i will want to blow my top. I'd be really tempted to debate them. Would that be out of line? I think the frustration is that i feel powerless, and have to take a backseat to the religious perspective, everywhere. 

I don't think it would be out of line to "debate" them. And, the arguments and positions are all on our side. What would be out of line is to "yell" at them and blow your top. Even as difficult as restraining yourself may be. I know. I often find myself stupidly yelling at the TV when I hear this nonsense promulgated as fact. But, for many of these people (con artists like Osteen excepted), this is all they know. It's been pumped up their backside since childhood, condoned and promoted by society, their peers, and in their daily life. For them, it's "normal," while to us, it's abnormal. Yelling and blowing your cork will just confirm, to them, how mean spirited, un-empathetic, and  immoral atheists are. 

Look on the bright side. Getting worked up and blowing your top is what A|N is for. We all do it - myself included - and it's a great way to vent among like minded individuals.

Exactly damian!  God IS useless.  Could not have said it better myself.

People on my FB page are posting this type of nonsense.  A couple have even applauded the ignorant ranting from Huckabee.  So far I have managed to ignore them and shake my head.  Their thinking is just so warped and frankly stupid.  Praying would have prevented the shootings?  Really?  To me it just seems ridiculous.

These are the same people who are just looking for any excuse to get prayer into public schools.  They are also the same people that rail against Obama and say he needs to follow the Constitution.  Oh the irony!

Perhaps, Miss B. Lover, you ought engage them, challenge their assumptions directly, if they have the audacity to post to your Facebook page these sorts of things. You might counter with:

There is more prayer in a church than any other place, one might suspect. Why does a church, God's house, need fire and theft insurance?

Why did Jesus mention you should pray in secret, if he really meant you should have government-written and led prayer in schools (and prayer in school is not banned, anyway, in private).

Would they like to have Hindu prayers? The Rosary? A Mormon prayer? Which prayers would they say? When the government has to step in to decide such things, instead of being secular and disinterested, then freedom of religion will really be no more.

You are right James!  But I truly think this person is too dumb to 'get it.'  I won't waste my breath.  I am really sick of dumbasses though.  My neighbor is one of them.  She brought over a plate of cookies for xmas, which was very nice of her, then starts talking about the horrible tragedy.  She says they have people that stand by the entrance to their church because one lady who goes there has a son who..... smokes pot!!! WTF????????  Yeah, THAT'S THE SAME as someone who shoots innocent kindergarteners.  SERIOUSLY.  I almost can't stand it.

wow Mel.  the evolutionary curve can be steep.

Right Matt?  I wanted to tell her I hope Illinois hurries up and makes pot legal, just to see her run away in horror! ;)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service