Glenn Beck rants Loughner being an atheist, as part of why he's a madman and the shooter.

Dear Friends, 

Recently, on Fox News, Glenn Beck exclaimed Jared Loughner as being a madman, and as proof, gave “evidence” of this due to his being an atheist, among other items.   

He led into this rant with words and photos of terrorists and mass murderers, and then set up his list of evidence among which “atheist and 9/11 Truther” were written to support his argument. 

Mr. Beck says: "All evidence points to (Jared Loughner)...was severely mentally disturbed, his belief system wasn't even rational...he was an atheist who believed George W. Bush was responsible for 9/11...cited the Communist Manifesto as one of his favorite books...these are not the opinions of a coherent individual...."

This was all presented by Mr. Beck in one segment and taken all in the context of who the some of  most dangerous people in our society are.  Among them, Jared Loughner, now inducted into this hall of infamy whose other members include Timothy McVeigh, and the D.C. Sniper. 

He doesn’t blame all the atheists in the U.S. for driving Loughner to his deeds, but attributes his alleged acts to his being an atheist.   In effect informing millions of viewers, that it’s people who don’t believe in God(s) who are like Loughner and McVeigh and the D.C.Sniper. 

In another segment, Mr. Beck asks the nation to stand with him and stand against violence and the language that surrounds it, yet on the other hand he made bigoted remarks against over 6 million people in the U.S., all atheists.

It is likely there are many more atheists in the U.S. that these offensive remarks are targeting. Six million is a conservative figure of 2% of a 300 million population.   This doesn’t count the millions of Americans who are agnostic and otherwise secular who could be atheists in all but name. 

Glenn Beck is a prominent figure in the mainstream media.  He is on a prime time cable news network, he has a radio show, is a published author whose books are in bookstores and grocery stores across the U.S.  He also has an online show.    He and the Fox News network have a responsibility to report the facts, and refrain from bigoted remarks.  He, and they failed in this case.    

Even if Jared Loughner was an atheist, which we don’t know yet, it cannot be a contributing factor to his alleged actions.  To make that assertion is to say that well over 6 million Americans who are atheists are all one step away from snapping and going on a mass murder spree. 

This language creates culture of paranoia, fear and mistrust of one of the largest, most productive, charitable, and socially active segments in America. 

I ask Glenn Beck to reconsider his remarks.  In addition, I ask Glenn Beck to show his support of those murdered and stand with the thousands who will stand together against the Westboro Baptist Church’s antics in the upcoming funerals in Tucson, Arizona.  Will he walk his talk and join those in Tucson, or continue to make bigoted remarks from the comfort of his studio on the other side of the nation?

I ask all good Americans to condemn his remarks and take on Fox News for allowing this kind of damaging language on their network. 

Link to the Video is: http://www.facebook.com/TexasFreethoughtConvention?v=info

Thank you for your time,

Paul Mitchell

President,

Texas Freethought Convention

www.texasfreethoughtconvention.com

Views: 61

Replies to This Discussion

As I understand it, the idea that Loughner was an atheist all stems from one quote -  “No! I won’t pay debt with a currency that’s not backed by gold and silver! No! I won’t trust in God!”

I think his whole point here was to attack the value of a currency no longer backed by gold. He would trust gold, not god. That does not make him an atheist.

Otherwise, his screwed up writings have been found to match closely the far-right "sovereign citizen" movement, as told in the article "Explained: Jared Loughner’s Grammar Obsession" reported by Justine...

in Austrahhhhleeeugghh he'd be arrested w/palin

born addicted, neglected; their offspring will sell themselves as they do

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service