We have all seen those ghost hunting shows. They go around searching for something that isn't their and when they hear something and/or see something they claim it to be a ghost. But the shows just might be faked. Now that isn't much of a surprise considering it is meant for entertainment and not for educational purposes (although some people might watch them to learn how to catch a ghost). They can fake the EVPs, ghost sightings caught on camera, and my favorite the orbs. Most (but not all) religious people believe orbs to be little balls of light indicating a spirit but of course that's not what it is at all but rather it is just balls of dust that light can reflect off of or a bug flying through the air. They might see some mist swift by there camera and claim that to be a spirit when really its just dust.

Most haunting shows are obviously over exaggerated (like for example: A haunting) they use their spooky Halloween voice to explain what might be happening and describe it as being the most horrifying thing on this planet when in reality their isn't anything that scary going on. They have people being choked, thrown by an invisible being, scratched, etc. The show is mostly (if not all) scripted.

Now some Ghost hunting shows might look to debunk something they have heard or have seen (for example: Ghost hunters- TAPS) and some automatically assume it to be a ghost (for example: Ghost adventures).

People are so quick to believe everything these shows say is true others might question everything about these sort of shows. I want to get your opinions about this sort of thing. Why are these shows believed to have real accounts of some ghostly sighting when most of them can easily be debunked? Are the ghost hunting shows sincere? Why do most haunting shows have to tell people that "These are real people with real accounts" instead of letting the audience decide for themselves on whether its true or not.

Views: 372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will admit, I have never wasted my time watching ANY ghost-hunter show [I DID see Ghostbusters, but that's another matter!].  Have to say, too, if I was going to go about scoping out a haunted house, you don't want to guess at the thoroughness I would indulge in, from infrared cameras, cross-covering all angles and blind spots, with dedicated recorders to motion sensors, with a correlating display to integrate everything.  Expensive?  Sure, but you either go serious here or go home.  Further, I would NOT have people walking the halls once the setup was done!  Cam and sensor coverage would be thorough enough to capture any event, and if I had to cover the HVAC system (ducting, particularly, but also crawlspaces and the like), then it gets done.

I am sick to death of the bullshit that is pandered as "ghost-hunting," never mind the devolution of the Sy-Fy network (which used to be at least half-decent).  Debunking them would be a pleasure.

Ghostbusters. Great movie, especially the dialogue where the character played by Ernie Hudson is being interviewed for the job.

Secretary: Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis?

Ernie Hudson: Ah, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say.

I see the former "Sci Fi" Channel's name change as acknowledging their devolution. "Reality" shows? Wrestling?

one of the comforting parts of being an atheist is not having to be afraid in the dark, look under your bed for goblins, and knowing that haunted houses aren't really haunted.  there are no ghosts.  any atheist who believes in ghosts is probably not really an atheist.  

Nope, the guy I know is quite atheist.  But finds ghosts believable. 

so he doesn't believe in God, but he believes in an afterlife?  seems strange to me.  

You can believe in afterimages without believing in god - so why not pull off the same feat with ghosts?

There are no spirits. Ones imaginary or ones that used to be alive and living. YOU are the spirit.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service