Geneticist seeks "adventurous female" to give birth to Neanderthal clone.

I wonder if ethics went into this decision. From God Discussion, because one wonders if Neanderthals were Christians (with news video about the project at the link): http://www.goddiscussion.com/106599/scientist-seeks-adventurous-fem...

A Harvard geneticist is seeking an "adventurous female human" willing to become pregnant with a baby Neanderthal clone.

Professor George Church has, over the years, collected enough Neanderthal DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the species. The UK's Telegraph reports that Neanderthals are believed to be one of the ancestors of modern man and became extinct 33,000 years ago. Church believes that altering the human genome could also provide the answers to curing diseases such as cancer and HIV, and hold the key to living to 120.

James K.

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This smacks a bit of running 50-yard wind sprints before someone's learned to walk.  Sure, maybe we CAN do this.  Why isn't someone asking if we SHOULD do it?

I can see some woman willing to do this. We all like attention! But let's think about the child. Yikes! By the way, it's been shown that most of us have a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA in us.

My wife is just out of the fertile years, but said "If I was younger..."

Just to be safe, I'd plan for a C section. Going natural on this one could be a gamble.

I do see a reality show in this though. "Today the baby kicked a bunch. I think my spine has been re-aligned".

Technically I'm still young enough to have a baby.  Would I do this? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

Actually Peter, maybe the real Neanderthals are smarter than the religious nut-jobs. ;)

If we are able to do something, should we?    Oh! Loren, I just read your reply. 

What about cloning Stephen Hawking's brain ... not his disease. 

Your idea about cloning Stephen Hawkings brain is a much better idea Joan! :)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service