I'm curious, what does everyone think about 'Gelatogate'?  In the words of Ray Comfort, what are your "thorts"?  Here are my thoughts about the incident:

See part two of this blog here: http://pixelstampede.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/gelatogate-22/

Also see the Springfield Newsleader article

If you've been keeping up with Skepticon this weekend, you may have seen this image. In Springfield, Missouri, the owner of Gelato Mio took the time to write this sign and place it in the store's window.

I want you to look at this sign. Read the words aloud. “Skepticon is NOT Welcomed to my Christian Business.” Why aren't they welcomed? Well, the underlining of 'Christian Business' may give you a hint, and knowing that the audience of Skepticon consists largely of a variety of non-theists may also clue you in. It appears that Gelato Mio doesn't want non-theists in their midst.

Let's examine the sign, scratched boldly in red ink. First, 'Skepticon' is on its own line. An attempt to ensure Skepticon attendants notice the sign before entering? Next, look at 'NOT'. It is written in all caps, the text version of shouting. Note the quantity of strokes needed to create such a bold font. This looks like it was written in anger, and it is underscored with two aggressive lines.

We move on to the last two words 'Christian Business', also both underlined for impact. The word 'Business' is barely squeezed onto the sign. Evidence of the haste and an eagerness to get the message out before the 'others' got in?

What would anger a person enough to make such a sign? Hundreds of extra visitors to your place of business, wanting tasty gelato? Critically thinking individuals entering your place of business? Or is it that the patrons were non-theists? By the underlining of 'Christian Business', my bets would be on the latter.

Andy, the owner of Gelato Mio, removed the sign and today issued an apology. I doubt the sincerity of his note and assume that someone pointed out his illegal action to refuse service based on his Christian criteria. Take note of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

“All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.”

We cannot idly stand by and allow any bigotry to be allowed. By letting him slide with an apology, it makes his actions acceptable. It doesn't matter if the sign was up for minutes, hours, or days. It is a fair estimation that the intent of this sign was to restrict patronage based on religious affiliation. The most effective way to ensure that business owners will not repeat/mimic such actions is through their wallet, and I support boycotting of this and any business that acts in a bigoted manner.

Here are three organizations working to protect our rights and keep the wall between Church & State: Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) and American Atheists and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

via emilyhasbooks' pixelstampede

Tags: #sk4, IV, Skepticon, gelato, gelatogate, mio

Views: 1134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am an atheist or I wouldn't be here. But I don't have a problem with this because I believe in capitalism. If said store owner wants to cut off from his business a certain section of the market, bad luck for him and good luck for another business who is not so choosy. This will end badly for Gelato selling company wheterh or not I am outraged because by his own actions he will lose customers.

Now I am guessing that a lot of folks are going to be saying this is the new front of the civil rights movement. Something like the Little Rock high school in the 1960s.

I don't see it. It is not as if our atheism is a skin color. Any intelligent atheist who has a sense of stealth and guile is going to get his gelato and the owner will never know the difference. 

for those who would say this is the unpardonable gaff (won't use the work sin). Perhaps it is worth considering that this forum is open only to non-theists, kind of the mirror image of the Gelato store.

"If said store owner wants to cut off from his business a certain section of the market, bad luck for him and good luck for another business who is not so choosy."

Well, there's that "it's against the law" bit.

"Now I am guessing that a lot of folks are going to be saying this is the new front of the civil rights movement."

It has been part of it all along. Discrimination on the grounds of religion was written into the act, no need to append it.

"Perhaps it is worth considering that this forum is open only to non-theists, kind of the mirror image of the Gelato store."

Except, it isn't a store, nor is it a public place. It's a privately owned website, with a specific purpose. The privilege to participate here involves meeting certain conditions, see: The Civil Rights Act (1964) Sec. 201 (b).

Good Points Richard. My bad.

Perhaps I am just too used to keeping a low profile. Living in a country where being an atheist is actually against the law one tends to keep one's mouth shut in public.

Anyhow, like I said, my bad. Cheers.

No bad, dude.

It is civil rights, human rights, …and defense of a secular Constitution.

And skin color doesn't matter in this one, thank …goodness.

One day, some day, even where you are.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
15 minutes ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
21 minutes ago
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
21 minutes ago
21 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Shaun Johnston's discussion Critical review of Darwin's "Origin..." 6th edition posted in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
3 hours ago
Mequa replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
3 hours ago
sk8eycat commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
3 hours ago
Plinius replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
4 hours ago
Travis Hedglin replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service