THe Nigerian president signed a new antigay law into place, there is a report of a gay purge.

"Dozens arrested"...  

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Police, working off a list of 168 suspects purportedly obtained through torture, are arresting dozens of gay men in Nigeria's northern Bauchi state, human rights activists said Tuesday.

I don't know the veracity of the website.  The article has an AP byline.

On Monday, President Goodluck Jonathan's office confirmed that the Nigerian leader signed the Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act that criminalizes gay marriage, gay organizations and anyone working with or promoting them.

In Bauchi state, police entrapped four gay men and tortured them into naming others, Aken'Ova said. She said the police have drawn up a list of 168 wanted gay men, of whom 38 have been arrested in recent weeks.

It is not an exaggeration to state that American Evangelicals support this law, and have lobbied for similar laws in Russia, parts of the former USSR, and Africa. 

Tags: Brian Brown, LGBT, Maggie Gallagher, NOM, Scott Lively, antigay, discrimination, evangelical, ignorance, purge, More…scapegoat

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A lot depends on economic stability. When there is increasing struggle and chaos, the "us/them" dichotomies become greater, then people need scapegoats and ways to vent fear, anger, frustration, and that is when being different is most dangerous.

In some ways I think the recent explosion of progress was a response to excesses of religious and political conservatism. taking advantage of the new freedom, the more open and positive lgbt people are, the more we become regular people to the msjority, the less we are "them", then we are less vulnerable to the pendulum.

Thats my working hypothesis, anyway. It always seems to boil down to "us/them". political power, greed and narcissism of the "big men" and "big women".
What a SICK and HORRIBLE thing. There are no words to express something so sinister.

Ugh. I'm not even surprised any more. The USA may have lots of homophobic bigots but in other countries it's even worse for the LGBT. It's a freaking crime and you get tortured for it, which makes it all sick and disgusting and WRONG. I bet the American homophobes would like this to happen in the US too. Instead of just spouting out hatred out of their stupid mouths and plain discriminating, I bet they'd love to round up gays and lesbians and treat them like animals and slaughter them.

it's obvious.. was obvious.. it's just total war imho. social warfare...

It's not just Nigeria. 

One tremendous point was made in the above trailer when someone said:

When they preach hate here, they forget that they are preaching to people who just take the law into their hands.

It may be that some of them don't realize that. What truly sickens me is the thought of those who DO know it ... and go ahead anyway.

For those who do not know it, I don't believe it would matter one whit if they found out the reality of what they were doing. Like Joliet Jake in The Blues Brothers, they're on a mission from god. To paraphrase Admiral Farragut at the Battle of Mobile Bay, "Damn the innocent, full speed ahead to the gallows."

Recently I was looking for a roommate to help me share expenses on the apartment that I rent.  I interviewed a middle-class woman who was seeking to rent the room for her hubbie-to-be, a man who is from Sierra Leone.  The name of that country rang a bell so I Googled Sierra Leone, where I found out that they take their "witchhunting" very, very seriously there. They even have a witchhunting 'season" She was an Evangelical Christian missionary who worked at a "halfway house". Halfway house, (where I live in completely fucked-up Pennsylvania) is evangelical code for we have lots of captive (so-called) criminals who must be "SAVED".  No shit.  I was astounded by the sheer number of people who worked at these places and truly believed they were called by God to kidnap, torture and extort vast sums of money from people, whose crimes, in the vast majority of cases had only to do with drug crimes.  Nickle and dime bag dealers.  She made a living saving souls.  Although I needed the rent money I decided that I do not want this type of personality invading my life.  As a non-theist I have my share of stories of the ill treatment that I receive once a true believer finds out that I don't share their psychotic view of the human condition.  I emailed her and explained to her that I must rescind the offer of the room as I could only imagine that somewhere in the future there was going to be discourse that would adversely effect any relationship, plutonic or otherwise, that we might have had.  I have seen this personally over and over again. I might have given them a break, but after telling her my concerns, she emailed me back and respected my opinions about this.  But what I did NOT get from her was a denial of the reality of "witches".   I therefore had to conclude that she and him believed there was such a thing as a witch, that some people have the ability to identify just who is a witch and that there is some sort of divine justification for the kidnapping and murder of those who have been identified as a witch. 

Religion has made this world a very disturbing place in which to live...

You should have asked her if she had a copy of the Malleus Maleficarum with her. Don't go to your local witch burning without it!

In times of old and yet today, I've always had one question about said witch. When they kill them who gets their property?

It's worth a thought.

I believe it's the person who made the complaint. At least, I'm fairly certain that was prescribed under the Code of Hammurabi in ancient Babylon.  But under that code, it was risky. If you made a complaint, and it turned out to be unfounded, you got the same punishment the accused would if he/she were found to be a witch. I guess this helped keep the Court filings down to a minimum.  In medieval times, I betting big it was the church. 

I was going to say, can I be the first to complain that there's something witchy about Mitt Romney?  Then - oh wait - if not proved then I'm in trouble.  Never mind.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service