"Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

This passage from the bible sounds pretty clear to me, though some argue it's true meaning.

How can one be gay and Christian and still maintain a healthy and guilt free sex life?

There are not as many mentions, condemnation or otherwise, in the bible as many evangelicals would like us to believe, but it's still pretty clear to me that the bible condems it. I personaly could not care less what the bible says on anything, but this seems to be a major deal with most people who at least, give some credence to bible morality.

Since I am using my real name, plus my picture, it may be unwise for me to show a full deck with regard to my sexual orientation, so lets just say I am on the side of the gay folks :)

I am guessing there are a number of gay atheist members here who may be less bashful than I to comment, but I am intersted in knowing if most gay people are, by necessity, atheist, and how they struggled in life having both socially unacceptable stigmas.

Does anyone want to share their thoughts?

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"They are happy to extrapolate and reinterpret if it gives them a chance to tell other people what to do."

Or who to HATE! ;)

There are a lot more rules about heterosexual sex than homosexual sex.  Yet the christian focus on the later.  I think they do that as a way of deflecting their guilt over the sins they actually commit from a sin they know they will never commit.  It makes it easier for them.
Matthew 5:18 pretty much skewers any idea that the OT doesn't apply. Not one jot or tittle is to be ignored. But since it's all playland of the mind, why should the sourcebook apply?

The bible actually says: Lev 22“‘Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

To me that means if you are gay, you should stick to one sex, men with men, women with women.  Not change back and forth. No where in the bible does the word homosexual appear and no where does it mention anything about women being together.

Nonsense. "One" clearly an indefinite personal pronoun and so you would have to stop all straight people having sex with women. Basically "one" includes more than the gay individual in question. Also lets not indulge in wordplay, the bible actually says: "וְאֶת-זָכָר--לֹא תִשְׁכַּב, מִשְׁכְּבֵי אִשָּׁה:  תּוֹעֵבָה הִוא."

You do have a point about the lesbian thing. But I think even god has a soft spot for a bit of girl on girl action.

Well, christianity's attitude towards gay people certainly shaped my disdain for organized religion. But most christians, gay and straight, have an amazing ability to cherry-pick through their religion and believe what suits them while ignoring or trying to rationalize the inconvenient stuff. I'm betting that most of the "God is Love" christians haven't actually read the entire bible anyway.
I'm not amazed by how many gay people accept Christianity, there are people who still run after and want their abusive spouses. Like with the relationships with abusive spouses, theism should end. But that doesn't mean that they'll see it, at least noit right away.

Greetings Stanley,

I am not up to fully address this to convey what this topic has formed to be my thoughts on one of many bits that were at one time incomprehensible.

Anyways,

"How can one be gay and Christian and still maintain a healthy and guilt free sex life?"

Looks so curious doesn't it... haha It actually becomes easy once you become aware that focus on being homosexual (i.e. something the book says it is a nono) is a part of the problem.

Answer:

For the very same reason Christian's in general are able to passively and actively read or be challenged with arguments that use material which absolutely refutes the god concept the book puts out as what without, the content is nothing more than fiction.

Analyze what you said!

This passage from the bible sounds pretty clear to me, though some argue it's true meaning.

How can one be gay and Christian and still maintain a healthy and guilt free sex life?

There are not as many mentions, condemnation or otherwise, in the bible as many evangelicals would like us to believe, but it's still pretty clear to me that the bible condems it.

They follow a pattern that creates a template that exposes what we have difficulty perceiving.

Apply the same thing you ask dealing with other Christian's that let verses ruin their ..happiness.

There are black (mainly African American type coming to mind from actual experience) Mormons!

Now that's fcked up and actually makes me laugh at what feels like insanity from these things.

When I finish this project that works on laying this one with actual examples I will try to remember at least make it known to you.

And, by the way, what you are asking is what I have too and I could not comprehend it. This along with others with possible tally exceeding two hundred hours of thinking with minor madness from the compulsion to find the answer.

"This passage from the bible sounds pretty clear to me, though some argue it's true meaning."

There is a reason that it is pretty clear to you, while others argue. That is a piece to use for decoding this mess.

Time has run out at the moment.

I spent many years defending the idea of God but it wasn't the biblical idea, I was more of a new-agey kinda believer and I think there's a lot of that in the gay world, plus some liberal churches (episcopal, unitarian, mcc, etc).
I've always wondered why it is that God and his sycophants become so enraged at the thought of someone else enjoying a bit of sexual pleasure, yet aren't the least bothered by napalming Vietnamese children, or dropping phosphorus on Palestinians.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service