What does one do with a friend who insists on pushing her religion on you despite the fact that she knows how you believe.  I have one who does this and I do not want to hurt her feelings however I do want her to understand that I do not need the preaching.  My father passed away recently and she sent me a sympathy card bedecked with christian symbols on the envelope as well as a card quoting scripture AND another little business card inside with more scripture on it and on the back she hand wrote "Give all your problems to the Lord"  I am kinda miffed about this and I am not sure what to do.  My standard response to her is to ignore it but I feel like ignoring it is not working.

Tags: friends, religious

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A preachy religious friend is like a crack in a windshield: the longer you ignore it, the worse it gets. Try just calmly explaining to her that her preaching is unwanted, and that you are perfectly happy without having to believe in a deity. Hopefully, after a nice conversation she'll respect your wishes not to be preached to. She may not be able to just stop cold turkey, because proselytizing is the christian equivalent of eating hallucinogenic mushrooms, but after a while she might get used to the fact that atheists can lead happy fulfilling lives without a god and lay off trying to convert you.
Love the crack in the windshield analogy!! You are so right. I was starting to become resigned to the fact that I was going to have to five her a refresher course. Thanks :)
If you care more about her feelings than your own then you may as well be a doormat.
Totally agreed. You have a right to your own self-integrity and if your friend cannot respect your own stance, I would have to debate the quality of the friendship.

Do stand up for yourself.
This is the best way to put it. I'd like to add to this wonderful statement.

She is trying to offer you comfort in your tough time the best way she knows how, take this as a time to show her that you are strong without believing in a fairy tale. That by believing in yourself, rather in some childrens story, you can overcome this hardship.
My condolences on the loss of your father. I have recently lost my father as well. I have an aunt who keeping trying to push "A Purpose Filled Life" on me. Because she's my aunt, I pretended like I didn't hear. I secretly plotted to give the book away if it was forced on me. Luckily, no one was that forceful with me. I got a big shock at my dad's funeral when my sister whose been agnostic for years requested bible verses and amazing grace. I did tell her I didn't care for it much. I don't have much of a relationship with my sister anyway, so it was no loss. How much does this friend mean to you? Do you feel like she's honestly trying to help or this is a complete lack of respect?
As long as your problem is not being handicapped...

Lev.21:17-23: Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. ... Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries.
In reading about your friend, to be honest, I'm a little pissed on your behalf. She's trying to use your grief to her advantage. She pounced on what she sees as a prime opportunity to sell you her god. She figures since you're grieving a loss and that you might be seeking solace, you're ripe for the picking.

I'm a little more than leery of these so-called "well-meaning" individuals. I don't think there is anything altruistic about them doing good deeds in order for them to score a ticket to "heaven."

If it was me and a "friend" wasn't respecting my views and being opportunistic in my time of loss, I'd probably put them on blast.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh when you've just lost a parent but sometimes people like her tick me off.
First off, I'm very sorry for your loss and I hope you have / or do find peace with it.
As for your friend, there's only one thing to do, you have to talk to her. Tell her that you are an atheist, you've done the research, you know both sides of the argument and that she doesn't. And, she'll have to accept you for who you are or not be friends with you. I'd put the ball in her court, lay out the rules for how the two of you will discuss the topic of religion, if at all, and make sure both of you stick to it. I've made deals with some people in my life that they can't tell me about god unless they can accurately describe evolution and natural selection, or the big bang theory or whatever. That way at least I know they were willing to put in some work to understand my side of the issue which tends (but not always) to mean that they sincerely want to come to some understanding with me.
Aside from that there's little else you can do. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service