I realize I'm new here and will probably be immediately flamed for criticizing what people are used to and comfortable with, but I would really like to discuss the format of discussion and groups on the Nexus.

I like (love) the Nexus idea and really am excited about having a freethinking home, but to be honest, I cannot fathom how the current discussion format is really usable.

Perhaps I just don't know how to use it very well, but I cannot seem to pick up a thread where I last left it and if people comment on older comments in the past, I have to go back and filter through everything to see them. I guess this just reflects the trend in comment-based posting of brief thoughts, but it really isn't user-friendly for long discussions and debates.

There are plenty of traditional forum packages available at no cost which are robust and very user friendly (the best one I have set up and managed is http://www.phpbb.com). I'm not really sure why something similar hasn't been set up here, but it would definitely go a long way towards keeping me (and I presume others) much more active and keep us around more.

Ok, I've got my armor on - let the bashing begin...

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't like it either but I believe it's how the Ning API is set up and there likely isn't much room to maneuver with it.

I'm a Software Developer but I'm not familiar with this particular API.

However, most don't have a lot of flexibility.

So, basically, either Nexus continues to use the API (which I believe is free) or they have to come up with a Custom solution (which would be expensive because they'd have to hire programmers to develop it) since this group is more than just a Forum, it's also a Social Networking site.

I haven't been around for a while so I don't know what the plans are, if any, for further development of the site but some others might know.
I believe it's how the Ning API is set up and there likely isn't much room to maneuver with it.

You are correct, Trance. We also pay to use Nexus. A custom solution is awfully expensive.
Thanks for the clarification Grundgetta.
You're welcome, Trance.
There are plenty of traditional forum packages available at no cost which are robust and very user friendly (the best one I have set up and managed is http://www.phpbb.com). I'm not really sure why something similar hasn't been set up here, but it would definitely go a long way towards keeping me (and I presume others) much more active and keep us around more.

It costs a lot to run this site. Please excuse me that I'm not addressing your question at length... it has been brought up before, and I'm not feeling well, so don't have the oomph to go looking it up.
Thanks Grundgetta. I tried to look for a similar topic myself before posting, but couldn't find one. I hope when you get a chance (and feel better!) you'll post a link.
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Cheepnis, no one should flame you either for having issues with the current forum format, or for not finding your concerns on searches. The search function isn't user friendly. There are ways for the savvy to search more effectively but those are buried in another discussion and I would have to search for them (duh).

I love logging on to Nexus but I think there is room for improvement. I worry that people are getting frustrated with the current discussion formats and giving up - the discussions that I look at seem much less active lately. The notification system seems screwed up as well - I keep getting notifications for groups that I no longer belong to, and there are posts in groups that I do belong to that I don't get notifications for. Actually, it seems like the unwanted notifications have stopped recently, although it may mean that people are just not being active, I don't know.

Oh well, it's like family. Gotta love it warts and all. I loved my grandmother even though she farted continously and I always got into trouble for laughing.
Ditto what Daniel said. In the next few days, when I'm feeling better, I'll try to dig out pertinent info.
It's ironic how those that are polite and courteous, and ask excellent questions about subjects that many of us are frustrated with, are the ones who expect to be flamed and those who are complete idiots, rude, discourteous, and aggressive, never expect a poor reaction.

Thanks for being the former, Cheepnis.

It is difficult to follow long discussions, and there have been times that I would like to respond, but it's just too laborious to get there, plus as Daniel has said, the notifications have been odd for many members, and I know of at least two, who do not get any notifications, although they have it set to receive them.

I like it here, so I have no plans to give up, but I'm sure many have become frustrated and left, or do not use the site as much as they would. Unfortunately, it's not a Nexus issue, it is a Ning issue (the service we pay for) and therefore unlikely to be resolved anytime soon.

Please don't give up, we need more people like you here. It's so refreshing to read a polite post from a newcomer about something that is not the way it should be.

Cheers,
sacha
Thanks, Sacha. I appreciate your feedback, as well as that by the others here - Daniel, Trance, Grundgetta.

I'm not familiar with how Ning works or how much it costs, but it seems (perhaps naively on my part) that there would be other good Social Networking platforms that are just as robust, with more flexibility, could be run from one of the many inexpensive hosting companies for less than $10/mo, and maybe even be Open Source, FTW.

Believe me, I feel like a schmuck even suggesting the idea of a complete overhaul and I honestly don't mean to belittle the tremendous amount of work that has already gone into this site's creation. I applaud all of you!

I'm probably turning into a whiner and should probably hold my tongue until I've read the aforementioned thread on this topic, so you folks don't have to repeat yourselves. But thanks for lending me an ear and patiently tolerating me. :-)
On this subject, could it perhaps be possible to implement a sort of quote feature? Right now whenever I want to comment on a post in detail, I have to rip the individual sentences out, copy them in my post and put them in italics and with quotation marks to show that I'm using someone else's text. I'm not a programming guru by any stretch of the imagination, but would it be much work to perhaps add a quote function? Or just a format where one can put the quoted text in a box? That would seem to be much more distinguishable and user-friendly than putting it into italics and working your way through a text like that.

And of course I'm only offering this as a most humble suggestion.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service