As much as anyone, there are forum and blog discussions that annoy me.  There are also some that I find interesting and even compelling.  Some postings are interesting, some are cool, some are obnoxious, some are weird, some are insightful and wise, some are tiresome, some are inappropriate, some are clueless, some are repetition of the same old ideas, some make me think twice.  I can often predict, more or less, what is going to be said, or what side will be taken and how it will be expressed, by the profile pic on the comment.  Im sure that's true for my profile pic as well.

Not having been a fly on the wall when the decision was made to remove the ongoing new blog postings and forum discussions from the front page, I can only guess - I imagine they are gone because the negatives overtook the positives.

That being said, for me it's hardly worth going to the front page any more.  Checking the #s of blog postings, they are at the lowest level in almost 2 years, when nexus was far smaller.  The decline started before this change, but is now about 1/2 of some earlier numbers.  I was thinking of adding a blog post, then decided why bother, no one will see it or read it.  Judging from the sparse comments on recent blog posts, it's likely that's true.

It's also hardly worth looking at the forums, too hard to see what's interesting and being discussed.

It might just be the groups that I'm involved in, but involvement there seems off as well.  Maybe it's summer doldrums.

The same will probably be true for this post as well.  I wonder if it will be seen, or discussed.

Tags: blogs, forum, front page

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think there's a disadvantage in that it is harder to see what interesting topics pop up. On the other hand, it does eliminate the spammers.
Yes. It is sad, but seeing as their is little interest in discouraging garbage and promoting quality standards, it's probably for the best. The gibberish was becoming embarrassing.
I agree. there is good and bad with this change.
I hate it. The news feed was the heartbeat of the site, and it kept people interested and discussing. We simply needed some vigilance with the spam. Now its difficult to find discussions, and thus less people will have a say.

please put the news feed back. Social networks do not function properly without it!
Well, essentially the no-brain vandals have won. People's feelings being so precious, any attempt, no matter how feeble, to discourage them is frowned upon. Everyone feels entitled to blabber whatever crap they want because apparently this is their space and they can do what they please and if you have a problem with it you're a Nazi. So you end up with Examiner spam one liners, jokes that were old when Noah was an lad, idiot Hollywood blockbuster movie reviews and descriptionless broken links and media embeds. If it's a choice between that or nothing, I prefer nothing. There is of course an alternative - screw people's feelings and demand quality standards are adhered to. Isn't that what the guidelines are for? But it won't happen. Not much good having guidelines if sensitivity to people's feelings trumps them. In such an environment mediocrity creeps like a cancer and ends up overwhelming the host. And that is precisely what has been allowed to happen.
if the site allows it the feed could be placed under the forum and blog tabs respectively. then it woujldn't be on the front page but people could still see what is happening. as it is it's too many steps to see what's there and by the time i look there's nothing worth reading.
After you've sorted the forum by Latest Activity, bookmark it. (I replaced the main page bookmark I had.) When you hit the new bookmark the forum will come up pre-sorted by latest activity just like before on the main page.
Re: activity listing

Or you can use an RSS reader with this -

http://www.atheistnexus.org/activity/log/list?fmt=rss
Felch, thanks for the RSS info too. If Im not mistaken (and I might be), this looks the same as what appears in the right on the nexus screen?
Dave, thanks for this useful info. i see it's also in that other thread that I missed. It's actually a nice format. Now I'm among the select few special people who can read the forums. Cool!
It never hurts to do a search before posting.
respetfully, here is the result of a search on the topic "front page" . the topic isnt there.

i find the key words and searches nearly useless. I know it's a major pet peeve for a LOT of people that someone posts on something that is alraedy posted on - sometimes multiple times. On the other hand, I often have tried searches and failed to come up with the topic that I was interested in, even when the term was exactly what was in the title.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service