Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah and a Fox News host went nuts about it. People shouldn't take religion so seriously that they flip out over how unseriously other people take theirs, and they certainly shouldn't expect to be the only ones to celebrate the winter solstice!

They can't help it...having a "personal savior" is the most arrogant thing I can imagine.  Unless it's being a personal savior.

They still don't get the idea that the "savior" bit means a bloody human sacrifice. 

Peace on Earth, my a##!

I still think the idea that humans were a special creation in the image of the creator of the universe, which we now know is unimaginably huge and populated with countless stars, planets of other phenomena (in countless galaxies)... that's what's arrogant.

True.  It took more than 20 years for me to realize how tiny and insignificant our solar system is when compared to our one galaxy, not to mention the entire universe.  It was the most liberating moment of my life.

I love Eric Idle's "Galaxy Song," and the new version he wrote about evolution.

BOTH songs/videos are here:
ENJOY!

These great songs not only get the feet tapping, they get the heart pounding and a sense of wonder at all that is. 

Yeah, but it's the wrong brand of beer!

I remember my school days when we all wound the Maypole. It was fun doing that too. Then we learned that May 1st was when the communists do this, and we never did it again. You couldn't even talk about it.

I'm wondering how we are going to handle it when we learn that the communists all take a crap?

I agree about the brand of beer.

The Maypole ritual is much older than communism, but most people today don't even know it's an ancient fertility rite.  The "pole" is a phallic symbol.  LOL

As the father of the PBR Festivus Pole, I respectfully disagree.

The following is from Seinfeld writer and creator of the Festivus Pole Dan O'Keefe's Mother Jones interview:

Sixteen years ago, O'Keefe and his family gave the world Festivus—by accident. Before Seinfeld's ninth season, it was the O'Keefe family's annual tradition, invented by his dad—a big fan of Pabst Blue Ribbon, coincidentally. "It was fucking weird, man," O'Keefe recalls. "It did not have a set date...We never knew when it was going to happen until we got off the school bus and there were weird decorations around our house and weird French '60s music playing." The pole itself, however, was an invention of the Seinfeld writers room, and the episode's other two writers Alec Berg and Jeff Schaffer. One day in 1997, one of O'Keefe's brothers let it slip to a member of the Seinfeld staff that this family holiday existed, and the crew thought thought was funny enough to write into the series. "I didn't pitch it. I fought against it," O'Keefe says. "I thought it would be embarrassing and drag the show down, but...Jerry liked it."

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/12/festivus-pole-protest-chris...

I was thinking it was the wrong brand of beer too Dennis! ha ha

The May Pole in Ireland was a great festival with bon fires built on top of rounded off hills, and the virgin men and women engaged in an ecstasy of sex. 

The Paps of Anu or Danu, "the mother of the gods of Ireland", are a pair of breast shaped hills near Killarney in County Kerry, Ireland. There is a prehistoric stone cairn constructed on top of each hill that makes them look like breasts from the valley. They are known as "stone nipples on the great breasts of the mother goddess. To the ancients, these hills reinforced the idea that the Earth was a motherly body. 

blarney!

Pabst Blue Ribbon?  Ummm, no, not my first choice ... or second or third or fourth, really!  [chuckle!]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service