Female Inferiority

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

I wonder where males would be if it were not for females?

Why would anyone judge anyone else inferior if they did not have the equipment to bring forth the next generation? 

The new testament is no more kind to women than the old; therefore, one cannot state with accuracy that the new replaces the old. It is as domineering, controlling, objectifying, and harmful to women. Don't give me the nonsense that Jesus took care of the female gender through his love. He had as much hate as any of the male Homo sapiens. For those who believe Jesus represents love, compassion, justice, and care, just look at what Christians do in Jesus' name. This belief system is one of hate. Hate women, enslave women, define homosexuals as unequal to heterosexuals. There is your evidence. 

Individuals are afraid to reveal they are non-believers in supernatural powers and remain silent in order to protect their safety. Are believers proud of being fear mongers? 

Tags: Jesus, Old, control, domination, fear, mongers, new, testament

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a little surprised you didn't mention 1 Timothy 2:11 ... but as much of a misogynist as Paul was, if we listed ALL of the verses where he dumps on women, we'd be here all day!

I agree Loren, it would take another day and someone else to complete the list. Just now I am on the track of some really bright women philosophers ... OH my Gonzaga University professors would lose heir collars if they could read these modern female scholars. I'll post them as soon as I sort out the good recordings from the bad. 

I heard these a lot growing up. Unfortunately people still believe this stuff.

Joan, I agree, Abrahamic religion of all 3 major stripes is incredibly misogynistic to us moderns.

In my quest to understand history, and where we come from in terms of culture and biology, I listened to the lecture series that we discussed - "The Other SIde of History.   Daily Life in the Ancient World".  One of the many lessons that I came away with, is misogyny was part of daily life in ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, ancient Israel, and ancient Rome.  There is some relief in that oppression in Celtic pre-Roman Britain, but that's not a lot.  Women were very controlled an in some of our progenitor societies, invisible.  No different from other chattel.  Slavery was also common in those societies.

I don't know what is the sociobiological basis for those oppressive traditions.  Did it stem from who was bigger and stronger?  Or the roles of males, having to leave the home and hearth to warfare, with women mostly at home - in times when war was omnipresent?   Unlike now, even if there is always a war, at least we as individuals don't experience it first hand.  I like to look for root causes, but when it comes to ancient history and tradition, root cause can be hard to find.

The concept of culturally ingrained misogyny / oppression of women could be near-universal, although I think there are exceptions.  Other civilizations - ancient China, into modern times?  The richer and more powerful a man was, the more wives he could own.  Women's feet were bound.  Personal rebellion was forbidden.  A woman was property, no different from slave.  Older wives, or mothers, could become matriarch to the younger ones, and oppress them too, but were still not themselves free.

Native Americans?  I don't know.  From what I have read of Inca and Aztec cultures, they were male dominated too.  I don't know about the more diffused societies.

It seems that society has to be either very primitive - some native peoples - or very advanced, before those walls break down.  I am grateful to be in the modern age, when there is a chance for some to be free and have self-determination.

That's my impression.  I am far from being an expert.

As for LGBT people, even cultures where we are mentioned, were far different from now.  Ancient Greece is often cited, but that is a power equation people don't look at closer.  From what I have read, women didn't have that choice at all.  Powerful successful men took young men - or was it boys? - with the older man as "mentor", and those young men were in a sexually subservient role.  This may not have been pederasty, but was a power equation of dominance and submission.  There was not an outlet for expression of same sex orientation in adults.  I saw nothing about that in ancient Egypt.  In Rome, there may have been some relief for some of the emperors, but of ordinary people?  Who knows?  There was imperial expression of same sex orientation in ancient China.  Again, for the ordinary person, who knows?  Of course, that was also a society that made big use of eunuchs, and castration was removal not only of testicles but also penis, and could easily be fatal.

Again, I'm glad to live in the modern age.

Excellent summary and commentary. I look forward to listening to the disks. I haven't downloaded them yet, and I have the order ready to go when the situation is right. This is a good time to listen to them because I am having a rough time with my last Herceptin drip and I am just laying in bed enjoying the idle time and grateful I can take the time off.

Get better soon Joan.  That's the important thing.

Oh, thank you Daniel. I am feeling better each hour. It will pass soon, a new snifter of snow is expected today, and I am cozy and warm in my home with my brand new furnace pumping nice warmth and moist air, Cary serves fine meals, and my mind is occupied with excellent videos and iTune programs. 

I hope you feel strong and healthy, and are getting enough rest. Love your photos. They always cheer me. 

Daniel, how do you get those brilliant colors? It looks like lilacs but the colors look like hydrangea.
k.h. they are lilacs. Modern varieties that have lots of color. the hard freeze last winter got a lot of the buds, but there are enough to enjoy a bouquet.

Are these your lilacs? Oh my gosh they are stunning! Oh! mine hold their green wraps around them to keep them warm and shielded from the expected snow today and tomorrow. Cary said we had graupel snow just a few minutes ago. These colors are so pretty! 
Did your iris rhizomes survive the wet? 

We bought the lilacs as tiny starts at a garden show sbout 10 years ago. They were to be a hedge. Each is a different variety. They needed 5 to 7 years to start blooming but now are pretty impressive.

This year most of my irises look really bad. The most neglected lookthe best snd the most pampered look the worst. Will post if there are decent flowers.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
4 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
8 minutes ago
Gwaithmir replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
13 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
16 minutes ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
21 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
22 minutes ago
sk8eycat added a discussion to the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
29 minutes ago
Raquel Fernando replied to James M. Martin's discussion Godless Millenials May Chart the Course for Ending Far Right Religiousity
33 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
37 minutes ago
Nick Bottom replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
37 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
39 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Feminism
39 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service