Federal Judge Upholds the Doctrine of the Separation of Church and State

Sometimes I feel as though the effort of fighting the battle for rational thought is wasted energy. No, not really wasted...but I am frequently demoralized. It is just such an uphill push...one step forward...three quarters of a step backward...sometimes even completely lost ground.

The State of South Carolina had passed.... unanimously by both houses of the legislature, with the active support of Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer...a measure that provided for the sale of a “Christian” license plate featuring a cross, a stained-glass window and the words “I Believe.”

Now comes the good part. A federal judge, ruling in the case of a lawsuit filed by the Americans United for Separation of Church and State, banned the production and sale (issued a preliminary injunction) of the plate, based upon the doctrine of the separation of church and state.

The ridiculousness of this state supported effort to meld church and state is that the tag proposal was passed in the first place. And isn't this the method of the Christian soldiers? It is the method of "see what we can get away with while we drain the resources of the 'evil ones' (that's us...the non delusional).

And this brings me to the point of this post. MONEY. The organizations that fight the "delusional" and their efforts of dominionism have to have money to keep up these battles. Please consider that the ACLU, the Americans United for Separation of Church and State and the other organizations that are working to suppress the efforts of over zealous Christians need our support.

The story I reference here is at this location:
http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=our_efforts_2008_sc_plates

Tags: Carolina, South, church, license, plates, religion, state

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a good result, but I think it is premature to celebrate. The judge just issued a preliminary injunction, while the suit Summers v. Adams goes to trial. It is at least encouraging that Judge Currie wrote that the "Plaintiffs ... have made a strong showing of the likelihood of success on the merits to their Establishment Clause claim."
I know George...I'm not really celebrating the success of the lawsuit that challenges Constitutionality of the license plate, but I am heralding the challenge itself. This is a battle that will never be won, the fight to establish the separation of church and state. I use the word 'establish' rather than the word 'maintain' because we have never really had a true religiously impartial government.

The state sponsors religion in many ways. From the money we use to the inscriptions of religious text on our federal monuments, to the oath of those who testify in court, to the swearing in office of our elected officials, to the prayer that precedes the opening session of our Congress.....our government has always endorsed religion.
Separation of church and state has become a major issue for me. I know fundamentalists will never see the logic in my beliefs, but I can no longer stand silently by while they turn this country into a theocracy. I want to be able to discuss subject from an informed, educated and rational perspective. In other words I need to fill in some holes in my education. Can anyone suggest good reading resources that I can study? I would like to pull my arguments from a variety of sources - writings of the founding fathers for example and more contemporary authors as well.
Thanks for any suggestions.
"Why the Religious Right is Wrong" by Rob Boston and "Piety and Politics" by Rev. Barry Lynn.
"Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947, the organization educates Americans about the importance of church-state separation in safeguarding religious freedom." au.org

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker 31 liked IAmTheBlog's blog post Indianapolis schools ban only selected religions, as well as atheist and LGBT sites, from students' Internet.
9 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 replied to Jeff Dempsey's discussion Atheist Advice For A Drug Addict or Alcoholic
21 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 liked Jeff Dempsey's discussion Atheist Advice For A Drug Addict or Alcoholic
29 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post Skin Politics: Propaganda and Reality
35 minutes ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
45 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Joe's discussion New Rule: Students Who Have a Same-Sex Wedding Can’t Be Mad When Their Christian Schools Expel Them For It in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Andrew Bradford Hoke commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post The Sociology of Religion
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion New Rule: Students Who Have a Same-Sex Wedding Can’t Be Mad When Their Christian Schools Expel Them For It in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Joe added a discussion to the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Christine replied to Jeff Dempsey's discussion Atheist Advice For A Drug Addict or Alcoholic
2 hours ago
Christine replied to Luara's discussion religious magazine in doctors' office
2 hours ago
Luara commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post Skin Politics: Propaganda and Reality
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service