I had a thought this morning, and realized that I couldn't narrow down my list of favorite words to just one. There are so many wonderful words out there, how can I possibly choose a single favorite! And so, I pose the question to you: What are your favorite words, and do you have more than one?

My apologies if a similar thread has already been started, I didn't see one...

My personal favorite words are currently:

Chimerical: adj.
1. unreal; imaginary; visionary: a chimerical terrestrial paradise
2. wildly fanciful; highly unrealistic: a chimerical plan

Serendipity: noun
1. an aptitude for making desirable discoveries by accident
2. good fortune; luck

Discombobulate: verb (used with object)
1. to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate: the speaker was completely discombobulated by the hecklers

Views: 36

Replies to This Discussion

Poignées d'amour (French colloquialism; translates as "love handles").

I believe you Anglophones call that either "muffin top" or "spare tire".
From what I've heard, it's either love handles (more polite) or muffin top (not as polite).
Well, "love handles" would be used if one were speaking of one's significant other, usually a spouse. In non-married couples, the term might not go over so well. "Muffin top" is fairly restrictive in how it's applied...usually among young (18-30 years old) persons, and only regarding women. "Cupcake" is another one I've heard, but I don't know that it's at all common. We're in need of some corpora studies apparently ;-D
What a coincidence! "Chimera" is one of my favorite words too! I try to use is as much as I can.
I also love the word "incognito", but unfortunately it's hard to find uses for it in everyday life.

A cool word in my native language is "kuulilennutunneliluuk". Translates as "the shutter of a bullet's flight tunnel" (whatever that might be). Do notice it's palindromic qualities. :)
Is that Hungarian by any chance? Saami maybe, or Finnish? Stellar word in any case.
Looks like it might be Cthulhian to me ;-)
That's Estonian.
Aaron was on right tracks though. Estonian is a Finno-Ugric language like Hungarian and Finnish are.
Awesome! I didn't know that Estonian was part of the Finno-Ugric family, which is very small to begin with. I love learning more about it though. Köszönöm szépen!
Phototropism. I like the word and the concept.
I like how the word Phoenicians sounds. It is just a pretty word, I think. I'll have to think on this some more.
I've always loved the almost self-referential sound of "shimmering."

For concept-related words, I always get a kick out of using Ted Nelson's neologism: Everything is deeply intertwingled.
Wasn't there some shimmering going on in the Twilight -related films? Not that I would know first hand... but a relative on Facebook can't shut-up about it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service