Favorite reason for not believing in the Christian God. I know this is some low hanging fruit but.....

I just joined and just wanted to throw this out there.  This is one I feel very strongly about.  How could I believe in and worship a God that is willing to torture someone for eternity just for not believing in him.  This person could be the salt of the earth and really make a difference in the world and all he came in contact with in a very positive way.  Sorry, but you don't believe in me, to hell you go and get tortured for eternity.  I couldn't do that to someone because it is hideously cruel.  Why would I want to worship and spend eternity with someone like that.  I don't believe in any religion and I'm sure religion is a "defect" when you achieve a certain level of awareness and I wish it away.  I know it will be many years before our superstitions are overthrown with common sense, but the survival of this planet depends on it.  The best thing for us to worship and respect is mother earth!  Thanks

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First off, greets and welcome!

If this god is at all (obviously dubious, to put it mildly!), he doesn't play well with others, nor is he very trustworthy with his toys.  He seems to be given to temper tantrums, one of which caused him to scrape the original canvas he started with Adam & Eve and start over again with Noah and his brood.  If he doesn't like you, he won't just wipe YOU out, but your entire tribe, to the last man, woman and child, never mind livestock (though if any juicy virgins are present, they're fair game!), and he's also a sucker for a cheesy bet.  Somewhere in his psychology are likely mommy issues, too, because it's pretty clear that he hates women.  Interestingly, if you do something that displeases him, he may not kill you ... but he'll curse your land with plagues aplenty, and then for the finishing touch, say goodbye to your first-born!

And finally, when he's played his hand out entirely on the above score, he resorts to scapegoating as a means of saving what he created from the problem he created along with them.  No appeal to responsibility for self or any of that, and what's worse, the penalty for failing to believe in his scapegoat is an eternity of punishment.

With all that and too much more to mention, there should be no surprise at all that Yahweh's behavior has given rise to the following quote:

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully...
-- Richard Dawkins

Thank you and sound words sir. Dawkins is one of my favorites!
Let's not forget original sin. That is bullshit with a capital B. When one starts taking religion apart it seems to fall apart easily. Many people can force themselves to keep believing but you won't find them here.
Welcome to atheist nexus.

Welcome Shawn and I agree. 

Shawn, I agree with you, and welcome. I can't say there's no one I wouldn't send to hell if I had it in my power (e.g., the piece of shit who murdered my sister, which by the way, he died of liver cancer), but that's just the point I would like to make. God is supposed to be better than me. If he existed, and did create hell, then he is definitely not better than me.

I've asked many Christians the question, "If you had it in your power, could you send anyone to hell"? to which many have answered that they wouldn't be able to do it. My reply to them has been to say, "Congratulations, you're more holy and righteous than the God you worship".

Welcome Shawn. The god of the Old Pesterment is like a slightly deranged spoiled child playing with his toys. In the New Pesterment he supposedly sent along Jebus to be his spokesperson but the PR wasn't that good. JHVH was a jealous war god and one of many, but over the years he became the only god. How did that happen?

Shawn, as you say, torturing someone for eternity is the largest reason for not believing in the xtian god at this time.

However, when I first decided that mormonism was not true, it was because god never lived-up to his promises.

He never answered my prayers, he never let the holy spirit direct me, and he never inspired his "anointed" leaders to help me with my problems.

Standard answers to "how could God be so cruel?", from the theistic zealot:
- You think you're smart enough to understand the mind of God!?
- He works in mysterious ways.
- Keep asking that question and you're sure to find out.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service