"Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful."  --Seneca the Younger (4 B.C.E.-65 C.E.).

Views: 2043

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rome 2: This time it's Pentecostal
Seems likely "sphincter" is a euphemism. "Everybody has one." carries a little more weight when not preceded by "Gods are like assholes."

Borat or Bill Maher? I'll have to watch Religulous again, he might have said that.
Years ago my dad used to say - "Anyone who says they don't have an asshole is full of shit." I think sayings like this have been around a long time.
In the current environment, I should think that being an atheist in the service is about as hard as being gay in the service. You'd be surrounded by believers, though of course seeing a buddy blown up by a IED might shake the faith of some. (Then you could explain to those around you, "If God is omniscent, omnipotent and good, why did he allow Billy to get blown to bits?" The answer of course is always, "God works in mysterious ways." To which you might add: "If God is on our side and the other guys say God is on their side, one proposition being true, maybe their God is more powerful than our God." Hopefully, they would eventually see the absurdity of belief.
Its best in a combat zone to avoid such conversations, especially after losing a comrade. When a guy is watching my back I dont want to fuck with his mind.
A variation: "The hard work of one does more than the prayers of millions."
RELIGION:

"A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the unknowable" (Ambrose Bierce)

"Something comparable to a childhood neurosis" (Sigmund Freud)

"Excellent stuff for keeping the common people quiet" (Napoleon Bonaparte)
The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.

-- Robert A. Heinlein
I had a quote from Voltaire, I think it was, who said, in essence, that the priesthood was nothing but a bunch of deadbeats. Wish I still had that one. Anyone recall it?
How's this:

“The first priest was the first rogue who met the first fool”

-- Voltaire

[Sometimes, I could just KISS Google! {grin!}]
I already HAVE!
EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service