"Religion is regarded by the common people as true; by the wise as false, and by politicians as useful."  --Seneca the Younger (4 B.C.E.-65 C.E.).

Views: 2028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At its best, religion is a superfluous argument for doing what's right anyway. At its worst, it's everything that's wrong with the world.
*thumbs up*
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong." - Thomas Jefferson (I know...a deist, but so beautiful a sentiment)

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain
It's not Jefferson's fault he was a deist... Even in those days, belief in 'something' woowoo was more or less necessary to operate in colonial America... Makes me wonder how many atheists stayed closeted throughout the bowels of history, in order to make change as deists or believers. I think it's harder to be a deist these days. We know enough through science now... People tend to either be fully deluded or not at all, in comparison...

"the fool says in his heart, there is no god; the wise man says it out loud" (unknown to me)

"The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind." - Ayn Rand

"Man is the only animal with the one true religion-several of them."

-Mark Twain

What a piece of work is Man

hold the irony

God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent -- it says so right here on the label.  If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you.  No checks, please.  Cash and in small bills.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

A minister is one who prays publicly and preys privately

A don't quite remember who said it

RC church?  Here's your sign!
"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if no one believes it."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service