Hello my friends on Atheist Nexus,

Glad to be a member in here:)

This my first discussion...and sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm curious to know about your favorite atheist quotes..

about everything, science, ethics, morals, wisdom and any kind of quote that attracted you..

Here is my favorite one,

Tags: atheist, favorite, quotes

Views: 1949

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Faith is the greatest vice; commonly mistaken for righteous virtue"

*Will Faithless Sophia

My response to the morons who say I have faith. Yeah, a Fictional Apparition In The Head, because that's all it is!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”- Voltaire

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." Denis Diderot

Love those quotes!  Thanks  C C Lady.

Odd Crazy Cat lady as I have heard that last quote attributed to Mary Wollstencraft
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
- Thomas Paine

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
- Susan B. Anthony

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.
- Albert Einstein

All religions, with their gods, their demi-gods, and their prophets, their messiahs and their saints, were created by the prejudiced fancy of men who had not attained the full development and full possession of their faculties.
- Mikhail Bakunin

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
- Thomas Jefferson
Take that Zeno I can quote myself! In other news, "We are prisoners of literature and of the classics, doomed  forever to be defined in context with those who came before us" I don't remember who said that but it is so very true...  For the average person who sadly happens to be religious I would go even further and say that one book in particular frames their entire lives, and they are doomed to wander within said books 'parameters.' Kind of like when the Moriarty AI hologram in star-trek wanted to see the absolute reality but was tricked into exploring an artificial universe.
"A man is successful if he does what he wants each day," I don't know who said or if I remember it correctly but I couldn't agree more, the whole success = money and time = money paradigm is ridiculous.
Well what the actually quote is "Et ses mains ourdiraient les entrailles du prêtre,
Au défaut d’un cordon pour étrangler les rois."

Translation

"And his hands would plait the priest's entrails,
For want of a rope, to strangle kings"

Denis Diderot (1713-1784) French editor, philosopher
Poésies Diverses, “Les Éleuthéromanes” (1875)

However, Jean Meslier (15 January 1664 – 1729) might have said it first, but it not verified.

Now I have also proven that I am a total nerd :)

Go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company ~ Mark Twain

I Don't know who said it, but it's funny....

When I was young I prayed to god for a bicycle, then I learned god doesn't work like that, so I stole a bicycle and prayed to god for forgiveness.

I just had to put up one of my favorite quotes.  No clue who said this.  :-) 

Reason is, of all things in the world, the most hurtful to a reasoning human being. God only allows it to remain with those he intends to damn, and his goodness takes it away from those he intends to save or render useful in the Church . . . If reason had any part in religion, what then would become of faith?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service