Hello my friends on Atheist Nexus,

Glad to be a member in here:)

This my first discussion...and sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm curious to know about your favorite atheist quotes..

about everything, science, ethics, morals, wisdom and any kind of quote that attracted you..

Here is my favorite one,

Tags: atheist, favorite, quotes

Views: 1991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Loving beings do not want to be worshipped, narcisistic beings want to be worshipped.

- John Jubinsky

I like a lot of quotes in this discussion.

One of my favorite atheist quotes is:  "Why does God not heal amputees?"

My favorite quote is not atheist related, but Hope did say "any kind of quote", so here it is:

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away." --  Dinah Maria (Mulock) Craik (often attributed to George Eliot)

That's one of my favorite quotes as well. I often point friends to the website "Why Won't God Heal Amputees?" (whywontgodhealamputees.com).

(The gist of the site: the Bible's claims about God and prayer are decisively wrong; apparent "answers" to prayer are simple coincidence, which we're likely to disproportionately notice; God is imaginary; let's make the most of this one, real life and work towards creating a heaven on earth.)

Doubtless, this one appears on A|N in half a dozen places or more, but what the heck:

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully...
--Richard Dawkins

Dawkins' quote about God being a horrible bully is one of my very favorites.

I distrust those who know so well what God wants because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
--Susan B. Anthony

I don't know if I have a favorite.  I'm a great fan of Thomas Paine, Mark Twain, and Thomas Jefferson, just to name a few.

Another one from The God Delusion:

"Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at he bottom of it too". -Douglas Adams

Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Children are not the problem here":

(video source)

"I'm not worried about kids. I'm worried about grown-ups, okay? These are the ones who vote.

These are the ones who tell you, 'The world is coming to an end in 2012!' Kids don't say that, grown-ups do.

I'm worried about grown-ups who say, 'Read my horoscope! Tell me whether I'll find money tomorrow!' Grown-ups say this, not children.

Children are perfectly happy counting through the number 13. Children are not afraid to walk under ladders.

They see a black cat cross their path, they say, 'Ooh, little kitty kitty!' They want to pet it, not run in the other direction.

Children are not the problem here."

That's so cool Grinning Cat, thank you.

If you have an android smart phone, download T.I.N.G.  I didn't see an Apple version.  It's basically a long list of quotes.  Good for quick reference.  If anyone has a better one, let me know.

"Saying that Atheism is a religion is like saying abstinence is a sex position"

Bill Maher (I think)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - Who's You from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - Who's You

Music by Viking Trance with video editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. 〩In The Mix 24/7 at http://www.vikingtrance.com ॐ ViKING TRANCE PsΨ Radio iTunes:https://itunes.apple.com/artist/viking-trance/id546597057 Choose Your Preferred Sound Quality @…
14 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
16 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
18 minutes ago
Barbara Livingston commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
24 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Warren Jappe's photo
25 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Charles Cassels's discussion Petrified forests take millions of years?
25 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Warren Jappe's photo
25 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Daniel W's discussion Zombie Christmas!
26 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
28 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
33 minutes ago
Barbara Livingston commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
37 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Matt Gabe's discussion Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism
38 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service