Hello my friends on Atheist Nexus,

Glad to be a member in here:)

This my first discussion...and sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm curious to know about your favorite atheist quotes..

about everything, science, ethics, morals, wisdom and any kind of quote that attracted you..

Here is my favorite one,

Tags: atheist, favorite, quotes

Views: 1930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds suspiciously like Martin Luther.  He had a real hard-on about reason, called it "That damned whore," and railed against it on more than one occasion.

We are a pattern seeking species and we prefer a junk explanation to no explanation at all. Religion was the first and worst explanation we came up with. - Christopher Hitchins
Good one.

"He that will not reason is a bigot;

he that cannot reason is a fool;

and he that dare not reason is a slave."  William Drummond

De omnibus disputandum (Everything is to be doubted)  I don't know who this is attributed to.

Not really a quote, but something I saw on another forum and have ...er...borrowed...

"This is a paraphrase of an old usenet posting regarding free-will ...

People think that Stalin was evil because he sent lots of people to the Gulags. But the truth is that Stalin did not send anyone to the Gulags. Those who hardened their hearts against Stalin sent themselves to the Gulags through their bourgeois attitudes and counterrevolutionary actions (and those of their parents ...) This was not Stalin's plan at all. He truly wanted everyone to partake in the Worker's Paradise, and it grieved him immensely that many resisted him. He did not force anyone into the Worker's Paradise against their wishes, he respected their free will to choose; all they had to do to avoid the Gulag was to open their hearts to the love of Stalin and do as they were bloody-well told. "
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Is it saying that Stalin was crazy? If so, how does that help out the argument for atheism? There are of course responses which argue that Stalin is a worst example, and we shouldn't judge a whole belief system based on their worst examples because there are no shortage of those on the religious side too, but that doesn't seem to be what this quote is saying at all. Or is it instead saying that Stalin wasn't an insane mass-murderer? Because he was.

I think he's comparing Stalin with the Christian god.

I thought it was hilarious!

OOoooohhhhhhh, I get it now. Ahhhhhh.... Well don't I feel stupid. Yeah, it is actually pretty good, now that I UNDERSTAND IT. I feel like an idiot. Yeah, its not bad.

"To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the loyal opposition." Woody Allen

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not." Eric Hoffer

Can we include bumper stickers? Here are some of the ones I've scribbled down that have caught my short attention span:

ATHEISM CURES RELIGIOUS TERRORISM

HAVE YOU THREATENED YOUR CHILDREN WITH ETERNAL DAMNATION TODAY?

DON'T PRAY IN OUR SCHOOL; I WON'T THINK IN YOUR CHURCH

WHAT SCHOOLS NEED IS A MOMENT OF SCIENCE

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful"

-Seneca the Younger

"If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favors them in order to profit from the blindness of men."

(Paul-Henri, baron d'Holbach / 1723-1789 / System of Nature / 1770)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service