Of course you have to mention Bob Marley. But other than Marley I listen to the following artists.
Gentleman, German born artist that pretty much lives in Jamaica now.
Martin Jondo, Found him through gentleman interesting voice.
Toots and the maytals, Good group just went to see them in concert this winter
UB40, An older couple I hang out with turned me on to these guys
Matisyahu, Hasidic Jew that puts out some decent music. I'm not super hot on his newest album, but I enjoy his first 2 albums.
I Wayne, really mellow music
And various others, these are the groups I listen to most.

Views: 264

Replies to This Discussion

I'm into Gentleman too, and am fond of certain UB40 tracks...

I'm also really into Anthony B, Sizzla, Junior Kelly, Lutan Fyah, Tanya Stephens, Jah Mason....

I'd love to find some conscious reggae music coming from an atheist- I really love much of the rasta mentality but can't help but feel a little uneasy with the constant references to Jah etc...

Any good, conscious atheist reggae artists in existence?! Might be asking a bit much! :)
I like Barrington Levy, Half Pint, Toots, Matisyahu, Melodians, Sublime, and Long Beach Dub Allstars.
Definitely Bob Marley. Sean Paul too.
you might like SOJA or soldiers of jah army
Well I don't even need to mention Bob Marley, But there are also his sons have become some of my favorates over the years. then there are greats like Gregory Isaacs,Horace Andy, and Dennis Brown. I have been listening to these guys for years,,,
the only Rasta musician that I know of who may be a non theist is the Dub poet Muta Barruka (i think I spelled it right). Check for him on you tube...
His name is spell Mutabaruka, and yes he might be the only non-theist. He donot see Haile Selassie I as God or a God. He denounce Christianity, Islam and Judaism, he is totally Afro-centric and anti-Europian to some extent. He view Rastaferian as Christians, indeed, they are. Muta's poems are great. here is his site. Nevertheless, I grew up among Rastas and on Reggie music. Marley, is at the top, but besides him, I love Gregory Issac, Beris Hermon, Dennis Brown, the South African Lucky Duby, my boy Luciano. There are many more.
Super Ape has to be the greatest reggae album ever made! and anything else by Scratch. Yellowman rocks too
Does anybody else like Ijahman Levi
" target="_blank">
I love MUTABARUKA, Yeah! Bob, Sizzler (cry cry & black woman n child), Buju's voice but not jah reference, John Holt, Beres, George Nooks, Tanya Stephens, Lady Saw..and many more..
I do wish we had more non christian Jamaican artist...n more women!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service