Faux News article: how to engage your non-religious family members

Faux News is directly plumping for religion.

In this case it is how to turn a perfectly normal family gathering, which should be about togetherness, and turn it into a chance to proselytise.

You have to read it to believe it. Because the holidays are all about peace on Earth, push your faith on men. found here>

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If religion is the ultimate truth, then the ultimate truth sucks!!!! lol

1. Ask about a spiritual experience that has shaped their life.

I grew up in a church heavily engaged in the teaching of "prophecy", including both that found in the Bible and some homebrew prophecy god-given especially for us back in the 1800s.  In 11th grade, I was told that while we understood all other prophecy, Daniel chapter 11 wasn't something God had seen fit to reveal to us yet.  That didn't sit well with me, so I looked it up on my own.  It turns out, the mainline Protestant churches had no trouble deciphering it at all.  It just so happens that it was a false prophecy.  For me, that was when I really stopped believing in the church I grew up in.

2. Engage in conversation about the importance of love and compassion.
I've never been loved so purely and so unconditionally as by the young woman I am with right now.  All my life it was always, "He's such a good boy.  He loves Jesus so much!"  It's almost like I myself wasn't even on the radar.  It's so refreshing to be loved for me!

3. Express your own doubts or questions about religion.
My mother has more doubts than me, I am quite certain, and I am an out-and-out Atheist.  She's been repressing them for so long.  It would do her a world of good to give them a fair airing out.

4. Invite a conversation about how spiritual values shape your respective lives. 
I believe that people can choose to be good.  Not that they are good, or evil, intrinsically, but that we are a moral animal.  That is inspiring to me.  Or, perhaps this counts as a better spiritual value: Life has the meaning we give it.  Some people say that's no meaning at all, and who am I to argue with them?  Maybe they haven't given their lives any meaning.  But mine has meaning because it has meaning to me, and to the people I love and live with and care for, and cohabitate with on this Spaceship Earth.  I want to do everything I can to make that a positive meaning not only for myself, but for them, too, and I think the very first thing I can do towards that end is to abandon all of this silly religion business.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
32 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
46 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
3 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service