Hi.

I have a young sister who I strongly suspect is beginning to believe in christianity & being taken to church by her friends.. I say this because I noticed that she is beginning to read this new bible I noticed on her desk (the bookmark keeps changing).

She's 20 and I want her to know the stuff about christianity (the flawed arguments and false evidence) that I know, but I don't want to seem like I'm banning religion in the family. I just want her to be exposed to the other perspectives and know the facts. Just want to be sensitive about this.

I'm thinking of just asking her whether she goes to church groups and ask if I can go, and go there to be the person who questions stuff in her group (I'm skilled enough in biblical knowledge/science/philosophy/psychology etc to conduct a calm intelligent discussion).

What should I do? Any thoughts?

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't have a problem respecting others in their "habitats," as it were. I will bow my head quietly while others are praying, or participate superficially in weddings, funerals, etc... There's a time and a place to have these discussions and a time and a place to just keep my mouth shut. I'm pretty good at determining which is which. :)
I hear ya girl!!
Whatever.

If she wants to be part of a religion where her only role is to push babies out of her vagina and still be a sinner for it, more power to her.

If, however, she IS reading the bible make sure she's reading the whole thing -- independently. There is nothing that white washes the violent, disgusting, and schizophrenic writing of the bible better than the group think that is 'Bible Study Groups' -- as though there were anything worth studying in the bible.

Go to http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ and find a particularly good passage -- then move her bookmark there.

Make sure she reads Leviticus 27:3-7 where Moses says explicitly that women are worth exactly half as much as a man.

27:3 And thy estimation shall be of the male from twenty years old even unto sixty years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary.
27:4 And if it be a female, then thy estimation shall be thirty shekels.
27:5 And if it be from five years old even unto twenty years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male twenty shekels, and for the female ten shekels.
27:6 And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver.

If she's ready and willing to be treated as subhuman -- then I guess that's what she'll get.
Darn, Jack beat me to it. Have her go over the bibil at http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com.

Walter I could not find Luke 26:14. Was this a misprint?
I think you should just encourage her to read the bible from cover to cover and think critically about each passage she's reading. Once she's done with the whole thing, I'm pretty sure she will not be a Christian. If she likes websites, show her This site: and tell her to read her bible as she reads the site

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
12 minutes ago
Future commented on Čenek Sekavec's blog post What is your favorite bible verse?
13 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed
14 minutes ago
jlaz replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
33 minutes ago
jlaz replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
37 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
40 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Former Pastor's blog post Divorcing The Church
40 minutes ago
41 minutes ago
booklover replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
42 minutes ago
booklover replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
43 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
45 minutes ago
sk8eycat liked Former Pastor's blog post Divorcing The Church
47 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service