For the past ten or so years my parents have been heavily involved with the Falun Gong/Dafa sect which gained massive popularity both in and out of China. Since that time I have seen my parents spend thousands of dollars on airline tickets going to conferences, a rejection of modern medicine in accordance with their beliefs, an anti-atheistic belief and a retreat into dogma on various occasions. Because their holy (I hate that word) book was written within the last twenty or so years (possibly even more recent) the author has been able to warp aspects of quantum physics so to make the book appear as though it has depth. Also because the author is still alive he can counter any arguments brought against the book. Some of these beliefs are for lack of a better word just plain wacky

Here is what they believe

*Belief that alien technology is used in computers and can warp people stopping them from taking up the faith. Falun Gong believers are of course protected from alien brainwashing

* Illness is caused by karma and if you use modern medicine it pushes the illnesses into another dimension and it will come back in another form. Only by following their book and doing their meditative exercises can you live an illness free life. If you do get sick that is just small amounts of karma coming to the surface. If you are seriously ill you should not take up the faith because your reason for joining will be to be cured and that is not a genuine reason.

*attachments are evil

*Films and video games featuring demonic themes ie Buffy TVS and Anne Rice novels are evil and warp people

*Inter-racial marriages

*Anti-homosexuality

*A rejection of inter-racial marriages (In my case this was very difficult for me to accept because their marriage is an inter-racial one)

If anyone has anything else to add or advice on how best to deprogram please let me know. I certainly don't condone China's approach to Falun Gong but that doesn't mean this sect isn't harmful.

Views: 2680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You cannot de-program the vast majority of cultists without physically removing them from their cult and cult influence because cultists will not hear you, will block out anything you have to say. Even if you can remove them, your chances are low of convincing them to use logic and reason to reject the cult. I regret that I cannot suggest anything to do short of kidnapping them.

The repression of the Falun Gong by the Chinese government is acceptable to me compared to the alternative, which would certainly be an increase in Falun Gong cult membership, followed by an increase in infiltration by foreign governments to gather information about China and to advance their own political agendas under the guise of a religious organization.
For me it really depends on whether or not the claims of organ harvesting and torture can be independently verified. I'm all for deprogramming but not if it comes with the aforementioned price tag.
Like, Scientology died?

I like your point of view, Amer, in general, but I think anyone has the right and ability to express an opinion, and mine is: Go, Chinese government! Smack down the Falun Gong.
But at what point do you draw the line between stamping out a cult and religious persecution? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
In general, where ever that line appears is where I would stop. Is there any other way to answer this broad question?
Ok well how about this, what measures would you see as acceptable when dealing with Falun Gong and what would you consider to be unacceptable.
Anything under the law to is potentially acceptable to me.
"Rule of law" in the PRC may have slightly different meaning from your own.

EG No trail by jury,no presumption of innocence, Conviction rate;in excess of 90%. The role of defence is to plead mitigation and remorse.

If an accused pleads guilty,the penalty will usually be prison instead of death, If you plead not guilty and are found guilty,no mercy is shown. The PRC has DOZENS of capital crimes. When I was last there a man was executed for running a ring of bicycle thieves.

From what I've read,Falun Gong is an especially nasty cult,whose behaviour is stereotypical. Should it be banned? IF it can be shown to be harming the body civil,as opposed to being seen only as a political threat. In the PRC it seems to be both. I feel the same about Scientology,which I think IS banned in The PRC..
Li Hongzhi also encourages hatred of homosexuals. He has said, "The disgusting homosexuality shows the dirty abnormal psychology of the gay who has lost his ability of reasoning at the present time," Li Hongzhi wrote in Volume II of "Zhuan Falun," or "Turning the Law Wheel," which was translated into English in 1996.

In his talk in Switzerland, Li Hongzhi also stated that gay people would be "eliminated" by "the gods." Asked in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1998 whether gays could practice Falun Gong, Mr. Li answered, "You can cultivate, but you must give up the bad conduct."

From paper was presented by Rick Ross at the January 2009 Internati...

This will get you started, Sydni.
http://www.facts.org.cn/ebook/200812/t85965.htm Here is an E-book which is a case study on the victims

http://www.rickross.com/groups/falun.html This is a collection of articles on Falun Gong from Rickross.com which is a database of cults.

That should keep you busy.
Just pointing out the *obvious* ... chinese sites are most likely controlled(censored) by their government, so they are not a really good source of unbiased information. (.cn)

Also as for the rick ross institute, it can't be said that is't also realiable, look it up in google.
Just one I found ... http://www.cesnur.org/2001/CAN.htm (not only about rick ross)
"self-proclaimed Bible-based "cult expert" Rick Ross" ...
Cheers
http://www.time.com/time/asia/asia/magazine/1999/990510/interview1....
Found this interview to be of particular interest. Li Hongzhi explains how aliens are here and how they want our bodies. Unless I see an alien body, I call bullshit.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Profile IconJohn Wegner and gAIL joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
5 minutes ago
Profile IconMarty Heresniak, Karli Flom, Jessie and 3 more joined Atheist Nexus
6 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion The global 1% is pushing us toward Civilization Collapse
13 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Loren Miller's discussion An open letter to the people who hate Obama more than they love America (Daily Kos) in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
16 minutes ago
The Flying Atheist replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
19 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte commented on Napoleon Bonaparte's video
27 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Steph S.'s discussion Sam Harris - Morality and the Christian God
32 minutes ago
Christine replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
34 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
42 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Idaho Spud's discussion Utah's Governor Grinch in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
46 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
49 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service