For the past ten or so years my parents have been heavily involved with the Falun Gong/Dafa sect which gained massive popularity both in and out of China. Since that time I have seen my parents spend thousands of dollars on airline tickets going to conferences, a rejection of modern medicine in accordance with their beliefs, an anti-atheistic belief and a retreat into dogma on various occasions. Because their holy (I hate that word) book was written within the last twenty or so years (possibly even more recent) the author has been able to warp aspects of quantum physics so to make the book appear as though it has depth. Also because the author is still alive he can counter any arguments brought against the book. Some of these beliefs are for lack of a better word just plain wacky

Here is what they believe

*Belief that alien technology is used in computers and can warp people stopping them from taking up the faith. Falun Gong believers are of course protected from alien brainwashing

* Illness is caused by karma and if you use modern medicine it pushes the illnesses into another dimension and it will come back in another form. Only by following their book and doing their meditative exercises can you live an illness free life. If you do get sick that is just small amounts of karma coming to the surface. If you are seriously ill you should not take up the faith because your reason for joining will be to be cured and that is not a genuine reason.

*attachments are evil

*Films and video games featuring demonic themes ie Buffy TVS and Anne Rice novels are evil and warp people

*Inter-racial marriages

*Anti-homosexuality

*A rejection of inter-racial marriages (In my case this was very difficult for me to accept because their marriage is an inter-racial one)

If anyone has anything else to add or advice on how best to deprogram please let me know. I certainly don't condone China's approach to Falun Gong but that doesn't mean this sect isn't harmful.

Views: 2695

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all!

I am from India and you all very well know that lot of yoga and spiritual practices exists in our country.

I have been practicing various popular meditation and yoga since 1997 and I got introduced to Falun Gong in 2008.

With my experiences, I firmly say that Falun Gong is the best practice available in the planet (to my highest knowledge).

Falun Gong is the only practice which stresses or aims on improving our moral character or mind nature based on universal principle – Truthfulness-compassion-forbearance.

In this present complex environment and society, it is quite difficult to maintain a high moral character. So master explains various principles and facts, so that practitioners can hold their moral character (Truth-compassion-tolerance) in their daily life .

Falun Dafa is all about improving our moral character and also obtaining good health. No Falun Dafa practitioners treat anybody badly be it in family, society, work place etc. Hence Falun Dafa is good and not dangerous. Personally I have got many unbelievable experience by practicing Falun Dafa.

Why do I get the sinking suspicion that you're not an atheist Singu? I suspect that you only joined up so that you could respond to this thread. As the forum asks you whether or not you believe in God or Gods when you sign up, I must call into question your level of truthfulness.

@ Justin Pearson Smith

I apologize (to every one) for what happened:)) I accept that I joined this forum just to reply this thread and also believe in God (but I don't worship any Gods). And I didn't purposely violate the rule of this forum. I am not good in English and I write every thing after referring Wikipedia and Word web online dictionary to present my views clearly. 

Before joining the forum it asked whether I am nontheist? And "about me" column by default filled with sentence "I am spiritual and practical". So, I was mistaken the meaning of "nontheist" and so joined. It was only after reading your post, I got to know my mistake.

Again I am saying, I didn't purposely violate the rules and it is because of lack of knowledge in English. Sorry, if it has hurt anybody.:):)

Thank you

P.S: I have changed by status and will soon inform concerned person to remove my membership.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service