I can understand there are atheists of all kind, but I can't help but notice a hand full of "atheists", who pop up on a regular basis through forums, that are VERY in tune with ALL the irrational philosophies of the evangelist right. From the homophobic remarks, to a blatant support of politicians with very well known theocratic view points. I won't name, names, but they seem to only post with the intent to antagonize and derail conversations, rather than discuss. They use the very same methods and diatribe often seen by S.E. Cupp.

Are these people trolling, maybe testing to see if they can destabilize the forum conversations, or is It that some people fail to reboot their philosophies after leaving religion?

Any thoughts?

Tags: Fakes

Views: 1080

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah I see now the penny has dropped well yes that can be the case that not all "I'm an atheist butt-head" (AKA as atheist buttery) are not necessarily closet theists. However, how one seperates the genuine crtic from the theist out to de-rail discussions is fraught with difficulties. Even Dawkins was fooled by a fake Muslim in one exchange on Dawkins own site, it only ended when members of RD.net pointed out that the comment made by the "Muslim" had appeared on every thread that day. No matter what the subject.

As for skepchick I have seen her in action before, on the occasion that you linked to she does make a good point though. Some of the comments aimed at that young girl were revolting.

As for your age my apologies the last time I looked at your profile you said you were only 17. Perhaps I should have checked before posting.

All lies.

Only closet theists criticize the atheist community.

@The Nerd,

You broke my dream! Atheists are perfect, everybody always agrees on everything and there are no atheists in prison. And if you don't agree, I'm going to use capslock in my next reply.

Hah! That'll teach you!

Seriously though, I've heard people call others on AN psychopaths, sociopaths, murderers, sexists and whatnot, being called a secret theist is not the worst. Depending on the person who uses the label, it can really be a badge of honor. 

@Matt VDB,

I wonder how many people here would really think that you for instance would be a secret theist. I mean, it was said about you here, so some people at least think that way. 

As I said before, that'll teach you to insert facts into a discussion where before ignorance prevailed.

About that Skepchick article, if Youtube and internetfora have taught us anything, it is that people hide behind their anonymity on the internet and it takes little motivation for them to act extremely derogatory for comedic effect. 

Only closet theists criticize the atheist community.

Matt VDB

I agree with you. I have not come across any atheist criticising any atheist as atheist. There can be criticism on many other isues.

The gay island person I'd definitely call a troll. But I think there are plenty of atheists who are very conservative politically, and there are plenty of atheists who are not too intelligent. As Pat said, atheism just means a lack of belief in any deity, nothing else.

Kyle Simpson

"there are plenty of atheists who are not too intelligent"

Being an intellectual is more necessary than having a high level of intellegence. A person  posseing high intellegence is not necessarily an intellectual. An intellectual believes in free thought and rationalism. All bright people are not necessarily intellectuals.

Jeremy

"From the homophobic remarks, to a blatant support of politicians with very well known theocratic view points. I won't name, names, but they seem to only post with the intent to antagonize and From the homophobic remarks, to a blatant support of politicians with very well known theocratic view points. I won't name, names, but they seem to only post with the intent to antagonize and derail conversations, rather than discuss. They use the very same methods and diatribe often seen by S.E. Cupp. , rather than discuss. They use the very same methods and diatribe often seen by S.E. Cupp."

First of all, we must not define atheism to suit our thoughts. An athiest has to be a free thinker himself and has to be able to rationally accept free thinking of others too. Calling names and personal attacks "derails conversations" as you say. Why a free thinking rationalist would want to derail discussions?

I never said you needed to define atheism, or that free thinkers are derailing conversations.

I got into it with someone about abortion, and not to say that some, maybe many, Atheists don't oppose abortion, I don't know, I'm just saying the more and more he talked the clearer it was to me that he was just on here posing as an Atheist, trying to 'convert' the heathens.  So I called him on it and quit following the thread. 

Atheists are supposed to be free thinking rationalists. However, you may find atheists who permit only themselves to be freethinkers.

atheists who permit only themselves to be freethinkers

Sadly, I agree. Isn't it funny how the most narrow tend to be so vocal.

Free thinking first creates doubts, rationalism then provides the answers. When one starts thinking about religion and god, this process first leads to secularism and then to atheism. This is the true route to atheism. If you wish to find trolling atheists, you may find them among those who have not taken this route. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service