I can understand there are atheists of all kind, but I can't help but notice a hand full of "atheists", who pop up on a regular basis through forums, that are VERY in tune with ALL the irrational philosophies of the evangelist right. From the homophobic remarks, to a blatant support of politicians with very well known theocratic view points. I won't name, names, but they seem to only post with the intent to antagonize and derail conversations, rather than discuss. They use the very same methods and diatribe often seen by S.E. Cupp.

Are these people trolling, maybe testing to see if they can destabilize the forum conversations, or is It that some people fail to reboot their philosophies after leaving religion?

Any thoughts?

Tags: Fakes

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure there are a few, though I would bet that most people with mental disorders are likely to be religiose.

That aside, with this group being the largest atheist community online, it's too big of a target to brush aside the possibility we have a few theists or people still in unstable grey zones.

Indian laws do not permit bigamy among hindus but permit 4 wives to muslims. So, some hindus who wanted to marry a second wife started converting to Islam.  When muslims realised this, they banned such conversion. In a similar manner, it is possible that some persons may become athiests for some personal reasons.  

That's certainly another possibility, though I can't imagine there is an advantage to being an atheist in Christian majority community, in which atheists don't receive a special privilage like 4 wives.

Jeremy

You seem to have got my reply completely wrong. No atheist is likely to want to marry 4 wives. My point is that " it is possible that some persons may become athiests for some personal reasons." This personal reason won't be wanting 4 wives!

No, i understanding what your saying, i just cant see why you would be right. What reason would they join an atheist list, or call themselves an atheist if they were not? Unless they were looking to just be a troll.

Jeremy

"Unless they were looking to just be a troll."

I am not very familiar with American slang, but from whatever I know about the meaning of the word 'troll', I would say, there are many other places where this could be done without become an atheist.

I have said that some may be becoming atheists for some personal reason. This means they do become atheist but not in the natural rational and free thinking way, but for restricted personal reasons. I can't imagine all such personal reasons, but examples could be protection from religion, dislike of some specific religious authority etc. I think you also can think of reasons why a person may become an atheist due hate, anger or frustration.  

Reasons like being mad at god but not really thinking past that.

I agree with Jeremy. I've noticed, whilst debating online, a number of people who seem to turn up from nowhere and say "I am an Atheist but........" and then go on to deride the atheist community.

They are without a doubt religious people, using fake accounts in order to derail a debate.

They usually witter on saying things like "you are giving us moderates in the atheist community a bad name. Or we are sick of the attitude you express. They do it in an attempt to make atheists who are perhaps not very confident, feel as though they are having a negative impact on the atheist community.

Keep an eye out for them. 

I agree with Jeremy. I've noticed, whilst debating online, a number of people who seem to turn up from nowhere and say "I am an Atheist but........" and then go on to deride the atheist community.

They are without a doubt religious people, using fake accounts in order to derail a debate.

And your evidence for this rather extraordinary claim at certainty would be...?

I'm an atheist but I like other atheists to back up what they're saying with cogent argumentation rather than simply throw assertions out like it's second nature for them.

Also I think it's a good idea to not view anyone with dissenting opinions as a Satanic demon to drive me away from the faith religious infiltrant aimed at sabotaging the community.

I don't know, the attitude seems familiar...

The infiltration by theists happened recently at RD.net when William Lane Craig supporters popped in and began almost every comment with, I am an Atheist but is'nt Craig cool etc etc. Or comments equally ludicrous.

They were spotted and comments removed as the intent was to de-rail the thread as Craig was not the subject under discussion.The incident prompted a post from the moderators about how un-funny it is when people post pretending to be Atheists simply to antagonise people and de-rail discussions.

I will attempt to find the thread in question and if I am succesful will post a link

once again you indulge yourself with the argument from personal incredulity which amounrs to "I dont believe it happens so it does'nt so there" I refer you to my post on page 7 of this discussion.

And your point for posting the link would be what ? that some atheists can be sexist jerks ? well yes they certainly can be, but your point in this discussion would be what exactly?

I know you are only 17 but if you want  costructive dialogue then calling people liars with no evidence whatsoever is not the way to go.

once again you indulge yourself with the argument from personal incredulity which amounrs to "I dont believe it happens so it does'nt so there" I refer you to my post on page 7 of this discussion.

Did I now.

Problem is, my dear Jeremy, I was replying to the statement that people who use the phrase "I'm an atheist but" are "without a doubt" closet theists out to sabotage.

And this is not only stupid, but also demonstrably false as the example of Skepchick shows: she criticises the atheist community often and very heavily, yet unless she's a closet theist, she serves as a perfect counter-example.

So not everyone who criticizes the atheist community while declaring themselves an atheist, is a theist. Q.E.D.

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with.

I know you are only 17 but if you want  costructive dialogue then calling people liars with no evidence whatsoever is not the way to go.

If I'm 17 then I guess I faked my passport.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service