http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/15/republican-party-fascist/

i started to read this essay thinking that it would be mostly BS.  i mean, facism, today?  i was sure the analogy would be a reach.  then i kept reading, and kept nodding, and it never got far fetched. 

my question, is he right, or is this confirmation bias?

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One if the ironies about the far right (Republicans/Tea Party) is how they struggle to throw off the word that best describes their belief system and world view. Of course who wants an instant association with the likes of the Third Reich or Mussolini? Well, white supremacists and racists still idolize these monsters as icons, but for the moment the far right does not want their followers to examine the logical goals of paranoid right wing thinking.

In any case, I see today's variant as neo fascism that is far more subtle than its crude predecessors. So fascism today is an amalgam of interests that include corporatism, (leading to oligarchy and Plutarchy) theocracy,crony capitalism, and whenever it is tolerated racism and bigotry. Today for example, anyone who might be Muslim can be openly ridiculed and coerced with little fear of reprisal.

One aspect of the neo fascists that early propagandists such as Goebbels would envy today not only the control of mainstream media, but the huge infrastructure of pseudo think tanks and news outlets on TV and talk radio that constantly spew their ideologies until it has now become viewed as simply allowing the expression of opposing ideas .

The greatest coup to date by the far right was the SCOTUS decision on Citizens United, enabling corporations and the ultra-rich to essentially buy elections and the officials that will be their loyal lackeys.

The far right today represents a serious and well organized threat to democracies at all levels from the right collectively organize workers, to speech critical of the regimes they install.

Right on, Christian Soldier.  “As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free.”  C’mon, let’s die for this shit.  How many idealistic kids went to their death singing this patriotic, all-American song from the Civil War?  It was a "civil" war:  everybody said "Thank you" and "please" before they blew you head off. 

Another contribution of Goebbels should be mentioned. He’s the guy that came up with the idea that if you take a lie and repeat it over and over people will eventually believe it. 

Excellent post.  Let me just add that just last week I heard Romney say:  “Corporations are people.” 

Tell me, my friend, is that above line part of fascism?

"They want conformity,"  Loren, that's precisely what fascism means.  Fascia, the way Mussolini described it, are the leather straps used to hold fire wood in place on the caretas or mule-drawn carts.  The fascia keep everything in line. 

Hitler loved the line, “marching in step,”

It’s interesting history that in 1929 Mussolini signed the Latern Pacts with Pope Pius XI, forming the Vatican as an independent state and divvying up Italy between the government and the church. 

So expect Romney to announce some sort of Pact with the churches as soon as he gains power.

Rommunism-a system of government which forces middle and lower class citizens to work long hours for small wages with no bargaining rights or benefits. In addition, nations that are Rommunist also tend to pass laws that reduce the chances of members of minorities voting, force pregenant womeon who may develop health problems if they carry the child full term or who became pregnant as a result of rape to give birth to the child, forbid homosexuals from marrying the people they truly love, allow corporations and the wealthy to influence government policy more so than middle and lower class citizens, and force middle and lower class citizens to pay more in taxes (percentage wise) than corporations or the wealthy.

*I didn't invent the term Rommunism, someone on Google answers asked others to define the term.

That term Rommunism needs to be viralized.  It's a great term!

some of this kind of talk is becoming more mainstream.  a few very recent examples:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/top-cali-dem-compares-gop-tactics-t...

Burton claimed that Republicans lie constantly, perhaps as part of a grander plan.

He explained: “Joseph Goebbels’ concept was the big lie– if you tell it enough, people will think it’s the truth.”

Goebbels was the chief of Nazi propaganda, and Nazi leader Adolf Hitler believed the “big lie” had a greater chance of being believed.

also, on Bill Maher this weekend Soledad O'Brien was talking about how the Republicans seem to think they can lie over and over again and eventually people will believe it.  Maher responded by saying "That's what Hitler did."  later in the panel Jason Alexander invoked Orwell when talking about Republicans.  

i guess it's gotten this bad.   

Here’s a good example of how powerful the propaganda was.  I remember as a kid watching the great Laurence Olivier documentary, The World At War.  I remember Nazis rounding up Jews and abusing them.  I asked myself how the heck could thugs, bar brawlers, ruffians and WWI hooligans beat up and push around the latter who were professors, writers, doctors and highly skilled craftsmen.  All while the Germans thought they were the superior race.  How could so many people believe such an obvious lie?  But hey… Many Americans believe the Twin Towers were destroyed because, “they’re jealous of our freedom.” 

Just a digression:  Goebbels was a polio victim and a cripple since childhood.  The last words of his diary were:  I have always hated humanity.  He was definitely bullied and abused in school, so his life might have been revenge against the German people for a miserable childhood. 

Now it comes out that Romney was a bully in school.  Hmmmm. 

When I went off to college (a long time ago) I received the New College Edition of the American Heritage Dictionary as a gift.

Within, this definition of Fascism:

“A philosophy or system of government that advocates or exercises a dictatorship of the extreme right,  typically through the merging of state and business leadership, together with an ideology of belligerent nationalism.”

That definition was written long before our current political atmosphere evolved.

I haven’t found authoritative attribution to this following quote, however:

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   Benito Mussolini

I am of the notion that "Corporatism" is what is being advocated by the current manifestation of the  American Conservative movement, and is the motivation behind things like the "Citizens United" decision by the Supreme Court, and the push for deregulation of the financial sector.

my mother was ranting at me yesterday that i'm being influenced by the liberal media.  she told me that she is concerned that i'm not being exposed to the real news (Fox).  first, this is incorrect - i watch Fox and peruse conservative blogs.  second, Fox is the ONLY news she watches.  talk about pot calling kettle!

so i had to ask her how she could justify voting for a candidate who, in this economic environment, wants to cut taxes on the wealthy.  she told me that Romney isn't doing that!!  this is how uninformed she is, thanks to Fox News, she doesn't even know a basic fact that is not even being disputed anywhere.  and she simply wouldn't believe that it's true. 

i believe that the strategy of creating mistrust in traditional media sources has reached a saturation point.  for those that follow news on the right, they completely distrust any outlet that isn't part of their rank and file.  they believe that articles from the mainstream media are biased, even when all they are doing is simple reporting of facts.  it doesn't matter.  there's a boogeyman in their closet, and no matter how hard you try to explain that there can't be a boogeyman in their closet because the boogeyman doesn't exist, they won't believe you. 

the right has a fully operational Propaganda machine.  they trust WorldNetDaily over CNN.  they trust Glenn Beck more than, well, just about anyone.  these trusted sources of the right report on conspiracy theories daily.  they make the boogeyman real.  they have convinced their followers that cutting taxes on rich people in this staggering economy is not just a good thing but a necessary thing.  not a single one of Romney/Ryan economic policy would help their individual financial situation.  yet they swallow it whole because Fox News says it's in the country's best interest.  never mind that the facts don't bear this out. 

yes, the left has it's own propaganda machine in MSNBC.  they don't really claim to be "fair and balanced", and it's obvious counter-programming to the Fox crowd.  in a perfect world MSNBC wouldn't need to exist. 

but this is not a perfect world.  the right wing Propaganda machine has ensured this. 

You are absolutely right Matthew, but sadly, I don't think anything will end this.  The people who watch Faux News are brainwashed, and that's it!

Did anybody watch 60 Minutes last Sunday?  Very disturbing.  About a right-winger who controls “the pledge” administered to Republican Party recruits.  The pledge, signed by 240 oath takers, states, “I will not vote for any proposal to raise taxes.” 

Very disturbing.  It’s clear rich and influential people aren't going to give up power and hegemony without a fight short of revolution.

I missed it, but ... that wouldn't have been Grover Norquist, would it?  He and his "no taxes" pledge have done a disservice to the republican party and the US as a whole in failing to recognize the exigencies of the current financial situation.  The sad thing is that Norquist is one symptom of an overall disease infesting the GOP: an ideological bent which has little to nothing to do with reality.  They can't be bothered with pragmatism or facts.  It's ideology uber alles ... and watch it truly hit the fan should they get their way.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service