Extra-Biblical documents relating to 1 Corinthians?

I'm in this big fight with about 20 Christians over at CafeMom: As far as I can tell, 1 Corinthians 14:33-35 prohibits women from participating in the church:
Here's a pretty good explanation of why the modern Christians have decided that these verses are no longer valid:
http://www.gotquestions.org/women-silent-church.html
The thing is, I can't find any documents that verify the "outside information" about those noisy women. Does anyone know how to find these "letters to Paul" and exactly what what was written to him about this subject?

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My understanding of those verses is that they were written to deny women any rights in the church, but most Christian women disagree. They insist that it only meant that they shouldn't talk during worship services, but are still in equal standing under the Lord. The thing is, no one has provided me with any real proof of this.
They certainly need think about that logic. Women are singled out not to talk but are considered equal?

The fallacies of christianity never seises to amaze me.
"If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people."

-- Gregory House--
Hahahahaha one of many other things that don't fit into a modern liberal view on women today.

How about not being allowed outside the house during their periods? Or not meet other men during their periods? I should add, because of might-be contamination.

In this Christianity shares exactly the same ideals as the other two monotheistic religions. People cannot accept that these works were written when equality between genders never existed.

Or is it equal that if you pray during your periods, your prayers will not be heard? Or that men's semen is worth more than your menstruational blood?

And is it equal that men are considered more pure and intellectual than women and thus naturally closer to god?

Of course, none of these things are signs of equality, rather the opposite. All of these things I mentioned were parts of Christianity besides the one about prayer which is taken from Islam.

Any Christian woman saying that god sees men and women equal are hypocrites and don't know their bible and just preferred to fit their religious views into a more modern contemporary society just like all other Christians. It's not like we beat our children either if they disobey their parents or that we stone women to death who committed adultery.

Regarding equality, promiscuous women were always considered worse than promiscuous men. Another sign of equality just there. People should really examine themselves and their views more often.
Honestly, you would need to do a TON of research in order to find out exactly what prompted Paul to write that in his letter to the Corinthians. I am in no way an expert on biblical studies, though I did attend a christian university before I left the church. But my take on those verses is that they are not meant to be taken quite as literally as it is stated. I think that it is saying that in the structure of the church services and leadership, women are supposed to be seen and not heard. It is much the same as some denominations not allowing women in the pulpit whatsoever. I am sure that my answer did nothing to help, but that is just my two cents.
Right about the research. I asked someone for a source about the loud women and she couldn't find one - she had been told about it by someone else.
That right there is a major issue with religion...every story is told to someone by someone else. It is impossible to find a single person who is the originator of a line of religious thought.
Always like that. If you don't agree with it, you don't take it literary.

Some Christians really put an emphasis on the part on homosexuality as written in OT, but yet say, ignore how to treat their children if they disobey.
With regard to the Old Testament, many Christians claim that the Old Testament only applies to the Jews...not the Christians. So, they give themselves a pass for not having to abide by all of the 613 commandments to the Jews in the OT.

I don't let them wiggle away from the OT completely. I still remind them that they worship the SAME god. And, that the god of the OT, is NOT WORTH worshipping.
That's how I see it, too. But the Christians keep insisting that the power of Jesus's love makes those passages mean exactly the opposite of what they state. And they keep telling me that I'm the one who doesn't understand the "context" in which the passages were placed, and if I'm not filled with the Holy Spirit then I'll never understand ...
"If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people."

-- Gregory House--
My grandmother was a church (cult) leader and yet Paul was her favorite biblical writer. Go figure. I think an important thing to remember about holy texts is that they can be interpreted however the reader wants to. So, how someone interprets it says more about THEM than the author.

Example: When I was just starting to lose my faith but not yet aware of it, I decided that the verses my parents used to justify beating me where incorrectly interpreted. They had the whole "spare the rod, spoil the child" thing and figured it meant I should be spanked regularly and religiously (ha!); I decided that since the rod was an instrument shepherds used to *guide* the sheep, not the beat them, it meant we should teach, educate, guide, and discipline (meaning "educate") our kids - not beat them. This says more about distinction between our general outlooks on kids and child rearing (and abuse) than it does about the writer of the passage. Who knows what it originally meant - beat your kids or train them?

However, on Paul I will say he's a woman-hating bastard, and in my opinion his whole angel-on-the-road-to-damascus is just one big ole temporal lobe seizure.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service