How do I respond to that?

Tags: debate, evolution, science, theory

Views: 186

Replies to This Discussion

haha, depends on the breakfasts in bed/predator ratio. If it increased your chance of getting laid by 3 times, but attracted light-saber-tooth tigers 6 times faster then you're in trouble. But if it only increased your chance of being eaten by 10% but your chances of breakfast 200% then.... actually then you'd be so fat you couldn't outrun the tiger. So you better make sure you have lots of sex before it arrives.
Actually the argument goes something like this, but I take umbrage because I have not looked it up specifically for this post.
Generally for things like the bird of paradise long tail -- Zahavi's argument that gets a lot of kudos in The selfish Gene is that it is precisely because the tail is a handicap that is becomes selected. It is a form of honest signaling. It says look have long I have stayed alive even with this impediment -- so imagine how fast I must be to get away from predators? Wonderful theory, I love it becaue it is so paradoxical.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
14 minutes ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
16 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
24 minutes ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
55 minutes ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service