Evolution a "lie straight from the pit of hell" says Congressman Paul Brown (R - GA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rikEWuBrkHc&feature=player_embed...!

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.”

this man is a doctor, and has a degree in chemistry.  behold, the power of religion to make smart people stupid. 

Views: 1073

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The stupid still burns ... I just wish it would burn THEM.

I think they are flame-retardant Loren!

Wow!  Religion is some powerfully-strong shit!  I know I keep saying this on here, but it REALLY does scare the #&$# out of me. 

I agree with you booklover. He has all those degrees yet he is not using them - or using his brain.

That prick knows on which side his bread is buttered, mythology is good for the wallet.

Ordinarily I might suggest that someone get a hold of Richard Dawkins and have him take this fatuous lump aside, teach him how things are.  Problem is, he would either not learn or not listen or both.  People like this live with the benefits of modern science, but they cannot or will not recognize where those benefits come from.

"Very interesting ... but stupid"

That's what we need, Nappy - a revival of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In!

Broun is a huckster and a liar.  He knows that creationism is bullshit He's pandering to his ignorant and stupid constituents.  As long as he regurgitates the sacred mantra of the creationist:  evolution and science are of the devil and the earth is six thousand years old and Adam had a pet Dinosaur he will be reelected.  I've said it before... You can't cure stupid. 

You're right John. And it isn't Brown that's the moron. He knows better, but is a low grade scum bag who is pandering to the rubes that will fill his coffers and keep him at his level of political power. 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful. Seneca.

_____ a "lie straight from the pit of hell"  

Fill in the blank with anything that doesn't support or agree with whichever religion's particular "beliefs."  It's not them or their ridiculous worldview that's the problem.  No, it's the devil toying with humans.  LOL

I have a brilliant friend who inexplicably turned into a literal fundamentalist young earth creationist in middle age.  His most recent bit of apologia is c-decay hypothesis (the notion that the speed of light has been slowing, and so the biblical numbers really do work).  He is, in fact, illustrating Barry Setterfield's next book on the subject.  To those with a deep need to shore up their beliefs, the mirror image of science (projecting data from hypothesis) feels like good science.

My take is that this is not necessarily stupid but is dishonest, even if unconsciously.  I don't think that my friend really believes this hooey, but for whatever reason needs to live as if he does.  About all I can come up with to explain it is early childhood indoctrination that inflicts unconscious punishment on the intellect whenever it conflicts with programming.  It's been difficult maintaining our long friendship because every conversation of a non-trivial nature ends quickly when I push (perhaps too hard at times) and he begs excessive stress.

}}}}

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Freethinker31 replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
39 seconds ago
Freethinker31 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
3 minutes ago
Sean C. joined Andrew's group
4 minutes ago
Sean C. commented on Mike's group Ottawa Atheists
14 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
16 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
19 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
23 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
47 minutes ago
sk8eycat posted a status
"Hoping I'll get my DELL/Windows computer back tomorrow (Wednesday) Happy Birthday to ME! MAYBE."
48 minutes ago
Profile IconOlexandr Hrinchenko, Jim Brown and Ayla joined Atheist Nexus
49 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
50 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service