Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able ? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing ? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both willing and able ? Then whence cometh evil ?

Is he neither able nor willing ? Then why call him God ?

Epicurus.

Any thoughts ?

Tags: Epicurus

Views: 1057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like your "hammer in the theistic coffin"! 

What I want to know is why do people pray?  Does their "god" not already know what they wish?  Or, if their "god" already has a plan for them, are they trying to change his/her/its mind?  I don't get what they think they're doing.

Booklover:

"What I want to know is why do people pray?  Does their "god" not already know what they wish?  Or, if their "god" already has a plan for them, are they trying to change his/her/its mind?  I don't get what they think they're doing."

All good points. I see you have given this matter some thought. Did you see Joan's reply ? Very profound, it put Epicurus' riddle in terms I had never thought of.

Hi Tony!  Yes I did read Joan's reply.  She is so smart and wise it knocks the socks off of me!

I love Epcurius' riddle.  I posted it on FB and a friend's reply what literally "hunh?" LOL!

Melinda, I don't know about "smart", but I am very curious. Very many topics get introduced here, and I love chasing down more information. 

You are smart Joan.  I really enjoy reading the information you take the time to find and share here.  I should have read your post at the beginning before I jumped in with my own!  I need to slow down!  I also love the way you word your posts. 

I'm so glad Tony (Anthony) found this site!  He is a really neat guy.  I feel so grateful to have found this site with all these wonderful people on it.  Too many to name!~ Melinda

When you wrote, "I should have read your post at the beginning before I jumped in with my own!" I know your are correct, but not in this case. It is sensible to read what others have added and then comment to the theme. The pro of that is the context flows. The con is that fresh, uninfluenced responses get lost. 
Your thinking and writing are clear and you show a great deal of compassion. Your pure love of life infects me with great joy! Thanks dear friend. You are a treasure. 

They prey because it gives them a feeling that they are contributing, false warm fuzzy glow.

Neurologically it can also produce hallucinations to add to the warm fuzzy delusions, just the same as deep meditation can.

So essentially, deep and concerted prayer is a form of meditation that can produce warm, fuzzy delusions in some people.

Most notably in the Islamic guys I lived with who actually become entranced with their five times a day prayer ritual.

Warm fuzzy delusions feel good for children. Adults need far more and we sure do get great responses on this site. Your contributions really kick me in the behind ... you make me think. Thanks for being you and being here. 

Anthony,

Often the "new atheists" and some of the newer atheist groups seem to believe that prior generations have nothing to say.  That they invented critical thinking and freedom from gods.  More power to them - every older person was young once.  But your quote reminds us of the wisdom from, not only prior generations, but that there were wise thinkers from previous millenia.

We are always reinventing the wheel.  Still, it's  comforting to know that the roads we tread were built by those who came before us.  I hope we can build for those who follow.

As for the words themselves, in over 2,000 years there is still no countering to the paradox.

Interesting also, the paradox can't refer to the modern christian / jewish / muslim god(s) because Epicurus lived in polytheistic, centuries prechristian Greece.

"For Epicurus, the purpose of philosophy was to attain the happy, tranquil life, characterized by ataraxia—peace and freedom from fear—and aponia—the absence of pain—and by living a self-sufficient life surrounded by friends. He taught that pleasure and pain are the measures of what is good and evil; death is the end of both body and soul and should therefore not be feared; the gods do not reward or punish humans; the universe is infinite and eternal; and events in the world are ultimately based on the motions and interactions of atoms moving in empty space."

I like this site; thanks Sentient. 

"Maintaining their delusion is far more important to them than justifying it in the real world!"

"There's no winning against devout crackpots!"

I read the above comments when I was just about to make my reply, but these two replies effectively say everything.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Don replied to Čenek Sekavec's discussion Asparagus in the group Godless in the garden
52 minutes ago
Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
2 hours ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
2 hours ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service