Who or what contributes to the dumbing down of the human race? Think of the movie "Idiocracy". In this movie, the wrong people breed, and, well, everyone in the future is dumb. Be specific. For example: actors, singers, preachers, parents, etc.

I'll start with "Danny Platt"

He killed (sliced his throat) his 2-year-old son, Ja'Shawn Powell, and buried him in a park so he wouldn't have to pay $4K in back child support.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i loved this movie
I think a lot our entertainment is lacking. For example, when was the last time you went to the movie theater and came out saying "wow! That was amazing! What a deep movie." I think Hollywood tends to dumb us down by under stimulating us.
When they are pandering to the lowest common denominator, that is not all that surprising. Those companies make money by producing movies that appeal to a majority. People don't generally go to the movies for stimulation, they go for entertainment. Education and titillation make for rough bedfellows.

I agree though. Our entertainment is lacking.
That's why I never go to the movie theater <.< But seriously, I am very selective in what I choose to see, just simply because as you said, there is probably less than 1 in every 100 movie that is actually worth seeing. Not very surprisingly, the movies that ARE deep often only fare well at the box office. Think of movies like Fight Club (think of the messages, the meaning of "that condo was ME!" for instance), Donnie Darko... There are a lot of good movies out there, unfortunately, those are never the ones that truly sell well. And I must add, I absolutely hate pseudosmart movies! One example is the Butterfly Effect, a movie which had such great potential but was completely thrown out through the window because of inane acting from Kutcher and an even more inane script.
lol donnie darko was good but i the ending oh man that one was hard to work out i had to look it up on the internet to work out which of my seven theories was correct and that after i watched the ending 5 times
Watch the director's cut, it makes so much more sense. The normal version has all the important scenes that actually explains what is going on cut off for a reason I don't understand.

If you want to add 10 points to your IQ AND have more time to reproduce, then get rid of your TV.
Actually, your tv can be a great way of education if you like viewing documentaries and such a lot like I do.
It is a tool! It can be used in many different ways. Television does tend to be used for purposes that are not engaging and enlightening though :P
Aye, agreed, I also got a preference for using my tv for video gaming but hey, video gaming is said to improve certain brain activities as well, so (and a video game can contain a lot of logical puzzles to solve).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
3 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
4 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
5 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
5 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
5 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service