Looks like Florida's program to drug test welfare recipients will save the state $40thousand to $98thousand a year, not including cost of administering the program, at a cost of only $178million.  tbo.com

This has nothing to do with Florida governor Rick Scott's shadow-ownership of the major drug testing company in Florida.

Republicans are against government intrusion into people's private lives.  This is not an intrusion into anyone's private life, either.

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Demonizing people in need, with our current economy, is absurd.
It's amazing, the levels of cynicism - the governor has a barely-concealed financial stake in the multi million dollar drug testing company, the people who are being tested are assumed guilty until proven innocent, the assumption that people getting assistance are druggies (disproven here), the invasiveness of republicans into private lives, which they supposedly are against, the government support of a private company by forcing people to use its services without real cause.  It's maddening.
Republicans - the party that says government doesn't work.  Then, they get elected and prove it.
I can see it now, if they test positive for drugs that are made by big pharma, it will be okay, otherwise they get kicked to the curb.
"wow...so what's the reprecussions if a welfare reciepent comes up positive? "

They get honorary Mexican citizenship?
Welfare needs to be reformed somehow...how would you make sure people who don't deserve the money don't get it and the people that deserve it receive it?
I see your point.  Spending 178 million dollars to identify the 2% of people who don't deserve welfare because they smoked a joint sounds like a good place to start.  On the other hand, if Florida spent 178 million dollars on a job creation program to improve roads or something, that might go to someone undeserving.
You obviously have never met many unemployed or even homeless people.  Otherwise you wouldn't say something so patently stupid.
You met homeless people who do jobs and yet you claim that welfare should be abolished?  You would look those hard working people in the eye and claim that they don't deserve help to be kept afloat?  Since you have taken menial jobs , I assume you know that you can not live off the wages, right?  You also know that saying something stupid is not the same as being stupid, right?
you say, dont assume anything about someone you dont know
you assume that most people on wellfare are lazy
do you know MOST people on wellfare?

I have been broke and homeless in my life too, and spent many years doing all of the kinds of labor that are needed to get by - I was the only grad student who I knew who was doing landscaping, cleaning toilets, and painting houses.  I also went to school on GI bill dollars, after putting my life on the line in foreign countries and giving my body and brain to the US Army for a chunk of my youth.  I'm secure and making good money now, while working very, very hard and taking a fair amount of abuse, but still doing well.

Even so, this discussion isn't really about whether we should have gov't support for people - a valid topic, I agree, but a separate topic.  It's about a hypocritical, profiteering republican politician who is spending over 178 million dollars of taxpayer money to filter out the 2% of public assistance recipients who are being "bad" by ingesting or inhaling addictive or intoxicating substances; which will save under a hundred thousand dollars.  That's under 0.1% savings or something like that.  Meanwhile they preach about gov't spending.

@Sentient you are correct. Repubs tend to grow gov. for business partner's gain while bitching about growing gov. Also, the 'spending a dollar to save a dime' thing is not very smart. The place I work (500 to 1000 employees) once paid a company over a million dollars to investigate all our insurance documents and accounts to see if anyone was cheating (claiming ineligible people, etc.). They caught.... are you ready....... ONE fucking person, claiming a boyfriend. I can't even imagine how much money my state (Alabama) is about to lose over the new dumbass immigration bill.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service