Looks like Florida's program to drug test welfare recipients will save the state $40thousand to $98thousand a year, not including cost of administering the program, at a cost of only $178million.  tbo.com

This has nothing to do with Florida governor Rick Scott's shadow-ownership of the major drug testing company in Florida.

Republicans are against government intrusion into people's private lives.  This is not an intrusion into anyone's private life, either.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's called illegal search and seizure it won't stand a court test.
That's what I thought too.  I wonder if it will go to court?
What's funny about this is that it's so utterly absurd. Most people who undergo these drug tests applying for state aid pass them as drug-free. It's such a gigantic waste of money to catch a tiny percentage of Welfare users, it's based on a very incorrect and biased stereotype that everyone applying for Welfare is a lowlife drug addict, and that's simply not the case.

What's funny about this is that it's so utterly absurd.

That was really my thought too.  It's been interesting to watch as this discussion, which I thought was about the hypocricy and corruption of a republican governor, supposedly small-govt oriented, started this really huge siphoning of public funds to a private company that he started and apparently can still profit from, in order to catch a really tiny number of drug users who you can't even say spent their welfare dollars on their drugs.  Even sitting in a room where someone else is smoking pot can result in a positive test, or their drug intake could be a toke off their friend's joint.  They are guilty without a chance to prove themselves innocent.  The idea of welfare is so hot, and so resented, it keeps devolving into a discussion of whether welfare recipients are worthy.  Meanwhile, many people seem to let the governor off without a lot of criticism.  Like I say, it's interesting to watch.

Oh, let's target some random group. How about this new law:

"Everyone buying a gun has to take a drug test."

Because we don't want druggies to have guns, right?

Would that drug test to own a gun include legal pain meds, alcohol, and tobacco?  Or how about caffeine, or antihistamines?  How about chocolate, as it changes your brain chemistry too?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service