I have written about this topic here on Atheist Nexus before and every so often it seems I have to write about it again. I hate doing it. Everyone comes to sites like Atheist Nexus for their own reasons. Mainly we are attracted to the idea of an online atheist community. Here we can talk to atheist friends, make new atheist friends, share thoughts and ideas with other atheists and help each other with our individual projects and even work together for joint projects. We are all friends here and that is what makes Atheist Nexus so great.

But every now and then there is some asshole who wants to bring the drama. These people tend to be more interested only in their own ego and so they want to make everything about them. They have their own ridged idea of what an atheist community should look like and have appointed themselves the censorship police.

I am not interested in drama. Personally, I would rather spend my time arguing against religion and in favor of science, reason, and humanism. But every now and then a drama whore comes along. I do my best to stay clear of these types of people because they have nothing of interest to say except that they don't like so and so and that they are going to bitch to a moderator about such and such.

This is an atheist community and we are all atheists. When it comes to criticizing religion and promoting reason, logic, and humanism we all ought to be on the same side. What can we do about these drama whores?

Views: 122

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I disagree with that approach and one blog a day (if that) doesn't constitute clutter. I probably will buy an ad here, but that isn't the issue. The issue is that there are drama whores here who will no doubt find some other issue to cry about and that is the real problem. You didn't like the profile pic. someone else didn't like the actual article. So that is my issue. If you don't like a pic., an article, a post, a link, etc. DON'T READ IT! No one is putting a gun to your head. We all have different opinions and that fine, but there are drama whores who want to force their views of how things should be on everyone else. That is the line here.
Again, we have a different idea of what a community is. I have also commented before about the advertising of my blog and just how much money it makes and where that money goes. I have no interest in renewing old drama. we all know that making money is a crime and fortunately, it is a crime that I barely commit, lol.

Like I said before people will always find drama and I want no part in it. You didn't like my profile picture either.

I don't think there is anything wrong with blog promotion as long as there is a paragraph or two and people can make comments freely. You even stated that you don't consider my posts to be spam because they obviously aren't.

Sometimes I post full blogs and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I comment on other people's blogs and discussions and sometimes I don't. The drama is really annoying and only a few people are acting like drama whores. There are a lot of members on Atheist Nexus and I get along with most. I only seem to have a problem with 2 or 3 drama whores who think they have the monopoly on what content id valid and what they don't like.

I see no value in this type of drama. It adds nothing to the community and is just people puffing their chests and acting like drama whores.
You keep repeating the epithet "drama whore" but do not directly address why "read more here so I can make $$" is justified.

I am not seeking drama, I'm just complaining about the specific practice of posting partial blogs with "read more here" underneath them. This is not specific to DT, its a general issue that does seem to violate the TOS of A/N.

If its not a violation of the TOS, convince me with a counter argument. Calling me a "drama whore" is not an argument.
You stated earlier that it doesn't violate the TOS. Also Roy showed that it doesn't. Show me how your drama is constructive and supportive of the atheist community.
"Drama"...I dont think that word means what you think it means...to paraphrase Princess Bride.

Posting an opinion or response to another comment with a thought out counter point is not, in my opinion, drama.

I'm simply arguing that "read more here so I can make $$" should not be allowed on A/N. I listed reasons why, but I can list them again if you would like.
And I listed reasons why I disagree.
My apologies to anyone whose reply gets cut off by me closing down this discussion. I don't have time to respond in full just now. Once I make a vague attempt at earning my keep, I'll be back.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service