Don't discriminate against my Satanism: Killer

Irving Davis, who was convicted of raping and killing a 15-year-old girl, asked to have his death sentence thrown out, alleging he was discriminated against because he practices Satanism.

Davis, 27, was sentenced to death for the June 23, 2002, murder of Melissa Medina in El Paso County, Texas.

His lawyers have asked the Texas appeals court to throw out his death sentence, arguing jurors shouldn't have been told about his foray into Satanism, reports Statesman.com.

Prosecutors, however, argue his involvement with the Church of Satan serves as evidence Davis is still a threat to society.

The prosecution showed jurors Davis' drawings of satanic symbols, his copy of The Satanic Bible, the pentagram tattoo on his chest, and a grievance form on which Davis complained about being denied a gong, candles, chalice, black robes and a vial of blood while in prison.

The defence's request sent both appeals court judges into philosophical speeches about the nature of good, evil and religion, Statesman.com reported. [...]

Tags: discrimination, satanism, texas

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

Some friends claim to have come across Satanic rituals, like one who was a hotel cleaner and walked in to find a bunch of sacrificed animals. I'm not saying "it's definitely true because my friends told me". It's not any more unbelievable than white supremacists killing people and animals, though. There are people who torture and kill people and animals and it makes sense that a belief system that is filled with hate and violence would attract such people*. (Anton LaVey's version of Satanism mostly seemed cynical and selfish, but there have also been other versions.)

*Before someone points out that the same is true of the major "acceptable" religions, I never said that it wasn't. I love disclaimers.
Sacrificed animals would be more the province of Santeria, but torture is not part of the ritual.
Theistic satanists exist, but are very rare. Most are LaVey satanists and are atheist libertarians / Rand freaks. Neither kill other than in self defense (which they justify most verbosely). Using satanic imagery from Hollywood or the metal scene does not constitute satanism, though the tabloids WANT you to believe different. I have posted some stories about alleged Russian satanic cults here (you search, I feel lazy and besides, I'm kind of tired re-explaining this all the time).
Satanists used to be, for the most part, bored suburbanites that got a copy of Anton LaVey's "Satanic Bible" and wanted to spice up their lives.

I haven't seen any surveys, but I suspect that the ratio of LaVey-style Satanists/Church of Satan to be the vast majority.
Best estimate: Satanists in the US.
There might be a line with the vial of blood but rest of it he should have...
I guess it depends on how the blood is obtained.
Ambrose Bierce once said that "One man's religion is another man's belly laugh." There's no reason to deny him most of his religious articles.

That said, Sikhs are required by their religion to carry a dagger (kirpan) at all times. I wonder how that is handled in prisons (or on airplanes for that matter).
Blunted wooden daggers or daggers welded to the sheath so they can't be drawn. Or at least that's what I've heard on various podcasts...
My Sikh friend said it is a small knife. I wondered if they couldn't just have a symbolic knife (like a blunted one). If it is a real knife they shouldn't be allowed to have it anywhere where other people can't have weapons.
I look forward to the day that adherants to the religion of escapology are refused the trappings of their religion when they get arrested/imprisioned.

M.
Time for a contrary opinion. I think he should be denied everything he asked for.

Let me explain. One of the things we have been witnessing recently is the idea that prisons are becoming hotbeds of radicalization. Radical Islam grows in prison, as do various Christian sects, and of course, there's the White Power/Aryan Nation/Christian Identity gang there as well. I would suggest that perhaps we should deny these radical groups the possibility of spewing their hate-filled doctrines in such a total environment. Perhaps religions should be banned in prison.

People can argue that we would be denying prisoners their religious rights. Big deal. The very idea of prison is a denial of rights. Why do they lose their rights to live freely, congregate freely, express themselves freely, etc., but maintain their rights to practice religion freely? Perhaps it has to do with some antiquated belief that Jesus would save them from hell/eternal damnation, but I think we have come beyond that. I also think there is a tendency to favor people who find God (in some acceptable variant) in prison. Witness Carla Faye Tucker. All the fundies wanted to save her from the big bad needle, because she found Jesus. If she had found Allah, they would be fighting for the privilege to stick the needle in her arm (for the record, I am against capital punishment in all instances). In effect, the prison system itself is unequal.

In any event, there are two options. Give everyone the right to practice whatever religion they want, or take away those rights just like we take away other rights. I can certainly see the validity of the latter option.

Alternately, I can see the argument that the authorities use religion in prison to maintain a certain control over diverse populations. Of course, that is hardly what the authorities would admit religion is all about.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service