A lot of theists have told me "You have to respect religion!" When I point out logical holes in it, or how ridiculous it sounds to believe in a 2,000 year old man who is his own father is. They expect me and other non-theists to show respect for their beliefs, yet many theists have no problem professing their religious beliefs to non-theists, but point out the flaws of their beliefs is simply "disrespectful"
What are your thoughts on this?

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the only sane course of action - don't force the issue, but if they insist then they will hear some shit they don't want to hear.
I respect people's rights to believe in religions. I don't respect the belief in these religions.
Theists have been told that they deserve respect since time immemorial.

This is why religion is protected from being viewed as delusion on a medical level: and only if we can change that outmoded view, can we being to show the deeply religous for the deeply mentally ill that they really are.
Well said to you as well Marco Draco. I truly think those that fervently believe in the existence of the things professed by religion may be mentally ill to varying degrees.
No snake oil salesmen deserve respect. It's not up to us to disprove the snake oil it's up to the salesman / manufacturer to provide customers with proven scientific fact. I dont mind if grown adults want to believe in their snake oil products and death cults but when they indoctrinate innocent children into their eternal torture death cults that is just unforgivable!
I think this quote sums it up for me. "I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it." - Edith Sitwell. Most theists don't realize or have even thought about how stupid their primitive beliefs are. It's those that think that they are superior because of their stupid beliefs who will get their ass whooped by me if they try to stuff it down my throat.
The only shame in ignorance is taking pride in lt.
z
I will respect all peoples right to believe what they wish, no matter how rediculous it seems to me. When they do not keep their view private nor shall I.
Do check out this web site it answers should we respect Religion in a fantastic way By Barbara Smoker ---Free Inquire Magazine at http://home.comcast.net/~pobrien48/Atheist%20Respect%20Religion.htm Also check the many great cartoons on this subject at http://www.fanpop.com/spots/atheism/images/1512037/title/atheist-jokes I do hope you enjoy these webs Also check out my very large Atheist web at http://home.comcast.net/~pobrien48/Atheist_Morals_facts.htm
No,I don't believe that you should respect theism.It is the cause of so many wars.It is oppressive and causes hate.Religions have no respect but for their own"chosen"group.I'm with Dawkins when is says religion is a virus.Should we respect a virus?
No and no.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Luara replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Neil deGrasse Tyson on why there aren't more women in science in the group Feminist Atheists
10 minutes ago
Carol J. Jahnigen liked Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
15 minutes ago
Patricia replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
24 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos
35 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte added a discussion to the group French Atheists
40 minutes ago
Grinning Cat liked Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Climate Chaos demands the first step toward Singularity
44 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Climate Chaos demands the first step toward Singularity in the group Transhumanists of Atheist Nexus
44 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
48 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner liked Grinning Cat's discussion Neil deGrasse Tyson on why there aren't more women in science
49 minutes ago
Donna Darko liked Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Fuck You= Australia's Coal Policy
50 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte replied to Patricia's discussion Survey via Pat Condell on Twitter
58 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Patricia's discussion Survey via Pat Condell on Twitter
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service