Does listening to xmas music make one a hypocrite?

My husband and I were in the car the other day, and I flipped it to a station that happened to be playing xmas music (anyone in the Detroit metro area knows this station). He immediately called me a hypocrite. I said, "I am not."  I enjoy listening to it this time of year because it's fun. When the religious crap, um, songs come on, I switch the station.

I got to thinking later, am I being a hypocrite, listening to music based on an xian holiday? Am I confusing my kids telling them one thing (god is make believe) while participating (singing) in the opposite?

Is this something for me to think about, or simply let it go as ridiculous?

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"i want a hippo for xmas"...... that song will always remind me of my kids being little and us singing it at the top of our lungs..... the memories are what counts :)
tom, those were fun.... thanks........ wow, i didn't know greg lake was such a hottie :)
I love christmas music, too. I don't often listen to the religious stuff. Since I had young children, I end up listening to Rudolph, Jingle bells and here comes santa claus a lot more than I would like. There is a winter holiday in almost every culture. Christmas dates way before christianity. How most of us celebrate the holiday has little to do with religion. If you were putting up a nativity scene, then I would say you were a hypocrite, but not for singing along to Frosty the Snowman. The bible and most religious texts that I know of are strangely silent on the topic of talking and dancing snowmen.

here's something that should bring back secular memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzTG0fTLAlU
grace, that's funny on the silent snowman..... remarkably, only animals used to talk in the garden of eden; poor snowman for getting left out. i think frosty ought to protest and call the bible writers prejudice. what a bush can talk, but not a snowman?.....lol
I don't think so at all. As a musician, I can appreciate the music without taking the lyrics seriously. Even with very religious music. For example, O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas songs, but I just treat the lyrics like any other fictitious story in any other song.
I usually like the religious songs better, because they sound better and have more harmonies and all that. I used to sing a lot of them in choir. The lyrics are not that important to me.

I don't need to agree with all the lyrics of a song in order to sing the song or to like it.

Sorry guys but I just don't understand the appeal of cheesy Xmas music...I feel like it's all up in my face from November 1 till December 25.
It is most certainly not hypocritical of you to enjoy xmas music. I love listening to Mozart's Mass in C Minor, which is all over religious. Does it stop me from enjoying the music? Absolutely not. If you were to take it further, you would no longer be able to enjoy Caravaggio's numerous amazing paintings (or Da Vinci's for that matter), or read Dante's Inferno, or even have a Trappist beer. However much it drives us crazy, religion permeates our culture, and part of enjoying living in our culture is enjoying the beauty that others have created. So sing on, little drummer girl!

And Silent Night still brings me to tears.
awesome choice of words...... yes, there are many things in our culture that are related to xianity, or buddhism, or the jewish culture for us all to enjoy, and we don't need to be part of that specific group to enjoy them, whether it's music, painting or books. thank you for your insight regina. :)
I don't like the religious ideas behind Christmas. But with my family it's not about that at all any more. It's just a chance to get together and give gifts for the simple fact that you love each other.
But personally I find Christmas music intolerable.
The Christmas tree is an ancient Germanic tradition and the American Santa Claus figure is largely based on an old Finnish ghost legend and Coca Cola. So no religion there.
Jesus' birth was only put on 25 December because it coincided with the festival of Yule. They couldn't even think of their own holidays.
Apart from that, lovely music has been composed throughout the centuries for the occasion; it all just went startlingly awry in the latter half of the 20th one. But then again, lovely music was composed for every occasion imaginable.
I'm a musician, and I listen to a lot of classical music, a lot of which is not secular. It's just what the common beliefs were at the time, it makes it no less artistic.
That's like saying I'm being hypocritical because I listen to death metal and don't kill people. It's just silly.
No.

Most things have some inherent beauty.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service