Does anyone beleive in the supernatural? (Other than god)

I'm all for skepticism and disbelief without proper evidence. However, there is a an area of science know as paranormal science. I don't believe in god, the afterlife, demons, etc.  but that doesn't mean i don't belief in other things, as some people have claimed. I believe in Extraterrestrials, and do not dismiss the possibility of ghosts or psychics, even some cryptids i don't deny the possibility of existence. These things actually have evidence supporting them, and evidence against. Granted a majority is first person experience and word of mouth, both terrible sources, but there is consistency with claims and research. Am i wrong to believe or be on the fence on paranormal topics? Some people have said yes, as an atheist it is my job to deny anything that is beyond the physical world, but I'm not sure i agree with that. So am i wrong for not denying these things until concrete evidence is found? are there any others that hold belief in a supernatural thing?

Tags: Paranormal, beleif, evidence, ghost, psychics, question

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Am i wrong to believe or be on the fence on paranormal topics?"

Without independently verifiable evidence, the former is the antithesis of "open minded".

"Some people have said yes, as an atheist it is my job to deny anything that is beyond the physical world, but I'm not sure i agree with that."

Right, it has nothing to do with atheism, more to do with critical thinking, rational skepticism and true open-mindedness.

"So am i wrong for not denying these things until concrete evidence is found?"

Only if you don't believe them because there isn't concrete evidence yet.

Rational skepticism doesn't default to "isn't possible to exist", it defaults to "not shown to exist".

But, …none of that (other - non "god") woo has any direct bearing on "atheist".

And "paranormal science" is pseudo-science.

How about ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY NOT!!!

If you want me to subscribe to some form of "paranormal" phenomenon, show me evidence that can stand up to scrutiny, analysis and a peer review ... or don't waste my time.

No.

The only concession I'll make is that I don't think that we are the only life-inhabited planet in the universe. I don't believe we've been visited.

Just one life-supporting planet out of billions in this galaxy alone?  Nah, I don't think so either.

The real shame may be that, with all that volume to deal with, will we ever find them ... or vice versa?

A shame indeed. Wouldn't it be fascinating to find another intelligent race whose psychological evolution didn't include a desire for the supernatural...

Dan man, maybe there's a part-time-atheist nexus?  I would be surprised if anyone believes in supernatural in this forum.  

Does anyone believe in the supernatural (Other than god?) Yes. Lots of people do.

Do I believe in it? NO

I don't believe in the supernatural.

I do NOT believe in the supernatural. I do belive in extra terrestial life. The mathmatical odds of life somewhere beyond this little rock are very high. Odds good enough to take to Vegas. But supernatural? Nope, noway, nada, nil, zip, zilch, a big goose egg. I think a rational skepticism is needed. Give me something beyond word of mouth and then we'll talk.

That's absurd. If you're going to hold your belief in god to standards, and it result in you no longer believing, you need to be consistent, and hold everything else to the same standards.

...except the Easter Bunny. He's real. And I'll fight anybody who says otherwise.

Every paranormal activity that I have come in contact with has been a hoax or has a much more rational explanation. I find no good reason to believe any of it to represent a truth. Forget consistency with personal claims, ( an idea does not gather truth with the amount of followers ), I thought we learned that lesson from religion.

Applying Occam's Razor to "supernatural events" takes the romance out of it, which is an interest killer for a lot of people. Remember, those papers need to be selling!!! Sensationalism FTW.... :-(

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service