Does anyone beleive in the supernatural? (Other than god)

I'm all for skepticism and disbelief without proper evidence. However, there is a an area of science know as paranormal science. I don't believe in god, the afterlife, demons, etc.  but that doesn't mean i don't belief in other things, as some people have claimed. I believe in Extraterrestrials, and do not dismiss the possibility of ghosts or psychics, even some cryptids i don't deny the possibility of existence. These things actually have evidence supporting them, and evidence against. Granted a majority is first person experience and word of mouth, both terrible sources, but there is consistency with claims and research. Am i wrong to believe or be on the fence on paranormal topics? Some people have said yes, as an atheist it is my job to deny anything that is beyond the physical world, but I'm not sure i agree with that. So am i wrong for not denying these things until concrete evidence is found? are there any others that hold belief in a supernatural thing?

Tags: Paranormal, beleif, evidence, ghost, psychics, question

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers!

And remember, whenever a theist asks if you "believe in evolution", reply; "No, of course not, ...I accept that it's a scientific fact".

Will do, will do.

I was just looking at a young man's CaringBridge website ( a friend of someone we went to school with whose daughter had cancer) and the young man, I think 18?, is in horrible shape.  It's so sad.  They did a bone-marrow transplant, but now he has a fungus in his bloodstream that they already removed a lung for hoping that would take care of it.  ANYWAY, his parents just 'wrote' that he had a white-board and marker for communication because he's intubated and can't speak.  He is full of drugs, etc. for pain.  The parents said he wrote on the board that he can feel his mothers dead brother holding his hand and that that is his guardian angel.  I say some guardian angel, shouldn't he have been guarded from GETTING cancer?  I guess if that consoles his parents who are in horrible emotional pain, then I guess that's good?  What do you guys think?  Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I just read that and then this and it kinda fits here?

A very sad story indeed, but interesting how the brain is bearing up to the emotional stress brought upon it by his sickness. As far as his folks go, sure its good that they are comforted by the thought that their son is emotionally at ease with his sickness. It is unfortunate that they believe what he is saying is the truth, that there really is a ghost holding his hand.

I think they still could find comfort within the more reasonable explanation, they could still see that their son is at ease within his delusions without partaking in them.

The truth can sooth just as well as manufactured explanations, it's not necessary to think that a ghost is holding his hand as long as they know that he is comforted by the thought, and with that, deriving comfort of their own.

Some people could argue that the sick young man should be told the truth, but I say, " To what end ". He will most likely die in the near future and is it truly necessary to debate this with him, using up his last few days struggling with the acceptance of " there is no ghost ". His parents, on the other hand, if they truly believe, are in direr need of some education.

Yes Daniel, and on top of that all of the messages left on his CaringBridge page say about the same thing, one even  from their minister, that they are so glad his "guardian angel" is there holding his hand and keeping him strong.  I agree no one should say a word to the poor kid, there is no reason to.

I agree Rusty, and I don't know them from Adam.  I just wondered what people thought of what the son wrote and what the parents and the friends/family/pastor thought.  They all believe, from what I read, that the young man is actually holding a ghost-relatives hand.

Totally agree. This is not the time or place. Someone is dying, and support of the person is what matters in this. Listening, a hand to hold, a shoulder to cry on, a hug will speak more to them about your concern. They will remember this. Not a place for reason. I've always said people tend to act on an emotional level, that is mostly where we process the world. Just love them and support them. You will be rewarded.

As I said in my original post I was just looking @ the CaringBridge page of a boy that's a friend of some people we used to go to school with whose daughter had cancer.  I don't know these people in the slightest.  We aren't even in contact with the people we used to go to school with, so I can't do any of that.  If I did know them that is what I would do.  Thanks for your response Tony.

Terms like belief and faith are loaded terms I try for terms like "I'm convinced"' "I think" or "The research supports"...etc

.If something thought to be paranormal is in fact shown to be real then it wasn't paranormal. If we don't have an answer for something the default position isn't- "it's paranormal or god did it".  The default is rather,  "we don't know yet but we're working on it."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service