Doctors who performed abortion on 9-year old rape victim excommunicated

The doctors, medical team and mother of the 9-year old rape victim were all excommunicated by the Archbishop of Olinda and Recife in Brazil. Cardinal Sobrinho did not, however, excommunicate the rapist. Instead, he told Brazil's Globo TV that "A graver act than (rape) is abortion, to eliminate an innocent life." (more on this story here)

Tags: bad religion

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This story happened a while back. o.O When she was pregnant with twins. The rapist wasn't excommunicated, either. So why is it being brought up again?
ETA: Oh, because the abortion itself finally took place...but considering how long ago this drama started, wouldn't she have been far along now?

It's B.S. for certain. But it proves what we've already known: they don't care about anyone who's already alive, only those who can potentially be.

Funny thing is that the Bible says nothing against killing unborn fetuses and infants, and actually promotes it in times of war. >.X
Funny thing is that the Bible says nothing against killing unborn fetuses....

Actually, that's not completely true. In several passages in the Bible it is said that life is sacred, and that the life resides in the blood:

Leviticus 17:11
For the life of a creature is in the blood

Leviticus 17:14
.. because the life of every creature is its blood

Deuteronomy 12:23
But be sure you do not eat the blood, because the blood is the life

Therefor a fetus that does not contain blood, does not contain life (according to the Bible). Which means that an abortion before week 6 is allowed by Biblical doctrine. I can't find the article anymore, but I thought that official Catholic doctrine did not condemn abortion until somewhere in the 14th or 15th century.

So although abortion might not be specifically mentioned in the Bible, there are plenty of passages that are relevant to the subject.
I would like to read the rest of the article. I, however, can not. Just that little bit sickens me to my core. What kind of a depraved individual views this as right?! This is probably one of the sickest things the church has done...
"A graver act than (rape) is abortion, to eliminate an innocent life." The rape is what made the "elimination of innocen life" necessary, stupids.

But then, it was the rape of a child. Everyone knows the catholic church doesn't have a problem with things like that.

I'd be proud to be excommunicated. I wonder if this kid will stick with catholicism.
I don't see how she could when she gets older and realizes her rapist wasn't punished by them, but the doctor who helped her was. That's going to create dissonance.

But it doesn't mean she won't retain a need for some kind of belief.
People who are excommunicated never should have communicated in the first place and they are better off outside of the catholic cult.
My boyfriend was excommunicated from the church. XD Received an official letter and everything. He asked too many questions. And when they were talking about baptism or something (I don't know Catholicism), he asked why bother since he was going to Hell anyway for being a bastard child. >.>
It just depends how thorough her brainwashing is...
A fetus is not a human being any more than a yolk is a chicken. Its a life without intelligence. Also if the fetus had developed in to a human and was allowed to come to term it might have killed the little girl in giving birth to it. But this holier than thou archbishop may be a sadist and monster preying upon the emotions of brainwashed people and it got his jollies off. But then this nut case dressed as an old woman is after all an imature adult and a mental retard if he actually believes in imaginary beings such as gods and angels. So those he excommunicated are far better off not being in the same club this lunatic is in, in the first place.
Thinking toward becoming catholic some day, I have been saving all my sperm. They are life forms too. Now I have this sack of wigglers, each of whom would like a date with someone's eggs. They would have martinis and get to know each other before they go fetal. I think that is the decent, catholic thing to do.
As a side note they didn't even have to bother announcing the excommunications. Anybody who gets, pays for, or performs an abortion (and is at least 16 years old and mentally competent) is automatically excommunicated the moment they abortion is done weather the church announces it (or even knows about it) or not. The only reason they did announce it was because of all the press attention.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service